ARCH - What If

Michael J. Harkness mharkness at hot.rr.com
Fri Mar 30 13:57:19 PST 2001

I aggre with you,
{Don) Sebastian Frobishire
Royal Huntsman of Ansteorra.

I have been playing this game for 16 years.
I have done the Heavy fighting, I am unable to.
So I pick up a bow and get right in there shoulder to sholder
with the line and shoot my bow in combat.How many did the shield men kill on
the other side 5 each if they were lucky. How many did I kill with my bow,
 20 , 30.
The SCA is a part of life for some, and a game to others. It fills a void in
still others. You have to look at the SCA as the person thinks. The people
in charge,well I think some of the life and time get to much in contorl of
their lives.
But mark this everytime I post something on any list I always get shot in
the foot by it.
I say open up and let some of the people in the circles. The ones that
excell at something. Every time a name is brought up someone that doesn't
like that person shoots his/her name down in flames. We have to stop the
personnel vandeta that Knights/Centurians put upon Archers. Hell make some
Masters of Arms if they will not let an Archer in the Knights Circle. Same
with the Centurians, light up.
Well I have shot off my fingers/mouth again.
Anyone want to take up a Bet?  That I get reamed out for this.

Lord Talon of Blackoak
Kings Archer
Sable Falcon (Combat ArcherY)
That is all Folks.
The above posting is not an offical statement form any person except the
writer.

Damn well said.  Thank you for doing so.

Don Sebastian Frobishire
Royal Huntsman of Ansteorra

> >  Old age is setting in -- I'm not sure what you are asking me.....
> > If you are saying that I'm presenting a case that archers should be
> > considered for Centurians - why yes, I am. I think they should be
because
> > archers are invalid in melee combat.  Of course I haven't read the
by-law,
> > laws, folkways or mores on what it takes to be a Centurians so I imagine
> > that I will probably get shot down in a minute gleefully by and archer.
> > Currently Centurians don't think that is a good idea.  They like
thinking
> > combat is only sticks being held in the hand and hit not thrown....
> > My personal take is combat is combat and should be judged by the
> > fighter and the weapon choice.
> > Of course, wait until you hear my opinions on art versus craft, art
> > versus science, etc. etc.
>

> I understand <<grin>>
>
> My point was an earlier argument was that Archery should be covered under
> the existing structure because target archery should be an art, and combat
> archery should be combat.   The fact that the Chivalric community
considers
> this as a completely separate art precludes it from being part of it.  It
> was for that reason the White Scarf was created for the rapier community.
> The fact that performance on the target archery field is not considered in
> Arts and Sciences competitions precludes it from involvement in that area.
>
> That being the case, it is difficult to not use rapier example for the
> archery area.  The parallels are the same. Consequently the only remaining
> argument is whether archery is as "main stream" as rapier was when the
White
> Scarf was introduced.   My opinion is that it is for these reasons:
>
> 1.  It requires it's own administrative structure, and that structure is
> already in place and has matured over the years  (the archery
marshallate).

> 2.  It requires it's own logistics at events and area duly separated and
> differentiated from other area  (they have their own archery field, list
> boundaries, archery targets, conventions on conduct, and
waterbearer/support