[Ansteorra-archery] VIRUS ALERTS/WORST EVER ACCORDING TO CNN

baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org baron at elfsea.ansteorra.org
Wed May 2 10:46:39 PDT 2001

Galen here...

Quoting Mike Harkness <mharkness at balista.com>:

> This is NO JOKE.

The hell it's not.

> I work for Another World Internet Service.

You do them no credit with a posting like this.

Did you _check_ cnn.com?  There's no mention of it
there.  The you _visit_ the McAfee site?  It's listed
among their listing of hoaxes.

And it bears all the marks of a hoax virus warning.  I
never thought that people were still falling for these
stupid things.

- Galen

> Read this .
> Lord Talon of Blackoak
>
> PS.   Pass this on.
>
> > Subject: Fw: VIRUS ALERTS/WORST EVER ACCORDING TO
CNN

> > > A new virus has just been discovered that has
been classified by
(http://www.mcafee.com/) as
> > the
> > most destructive
> > > ever! This virus was discovered yesterday
afternoon by McAfee and no
> > vaccine
> > > has yet  been developed. This virus simply
destroys Sector Zero from
> > the
> > > hard disk,  where vital information for its
functioning are stored.
> > This
> > > virus acts in the  following manner:
> > > It sends itself automatically to all contacts on
your list with the
> > title
> > > "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as the supposed
virtual card is
> > opened,
> > > the computer freezes so that the user has to
reboot. When the
> > ctrl+alt+del
> > > keys or the reset button are pressed, the virus
destroys Sector Zero,
> > thus
> > > permanently destroying the hard disk.  Yesterday
in just a few hours
> > this
> > > virus caused panic in New York, according to news
broadcast by CNN
> > > ww.cnn.com/http://www.cnn.com). This alert was
received by an employee
> > of
> > > Microsoft itself. So don't open any mails with
subject:
> > > "A Virtual Card for You." As soon as you get the
mail, delete it.
> > Please
> > > pass this mail to all of your friends. Forward
this to everyone in your

> > > address book. I would rather receive this 25
times than not at all.
> > Also:
> > > Intel announced that a new and very destructive
virus was discovered
> > > recently. If you receive an email called "An
Internet Flower For You,"
> > do
> > > not open it. Delete it right away! This virus
removes all dynamic link
> > > libraries (.dll files) from your computer. Your
computer will not be
> > able
> > > boot up!!
> > >
> > > SEND THIS TO EVERYONE ON YOUR CONTACT LIST!!
> > >
> > > ANOTHER  WARNING
> > >
> > > PASS THIS ON TO ANYONE YOU HAVE AN E-MAIL ADDRESS
FOR.  If you receive
> > an
> > > email titled: "It Takes Guts to Say Jesus" DO NOT
OPEN IT.
> > > It will erase everything on your hard drive.
This information was
> > announced
> > > yesterday morning from IBM;
> > > AOL states that this is a very dangerous virus,
much worse than
> > "Melissa,"
> > > and that there is NO Remedy for it at this time.
Some very sick
> > individual
> > > has succeeded in using the reformat function rom
to completely erase
> > all
> > > documents on the hard drive. It has been designed
to work with Netscape

> > > Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer. It
destroys Macintosh and
> > IBM
> > > compatible computers.
> > > This is a new, very malicious virus and not many
people know about it.
> > Pass
> > > this warning along to EVERYONE in your  address
book and please share
> > it
> > > with all your online friends ASAP so that this
threat maybe stopped.
> > Please
> > > practice cautionary measures and tell anyone that
may have access to
> > your
> > > computer. Forward this warning to everyone that
might access the