[Ansteorra-archery] Your Take on The ABD/APD ISSUE

Mills, Scott Scott.Mills at compaq.com
Thu May 10 09:46:48 PDT 2001

Unlike other I don't for a minute believe that this new policy was a
malicious attempt by the SEM to kill Combat Archery.  I believe that the SEM
had honest concerns about the safety of CA and since he comes from a Golf
Tube kingdom he undoubtedly thinks his new policy is completely reasonable.

I think there are some very real concerns that we live in an overly
litigious society and SCA could be liable if nothing was done to improve
safety after there were several well documented injuries.  Sure there are
many other ways that a person can get hurt on a battle field. But once
someone is hurt, and a single person calls for change and safety
enhancements, and the SCA does nothing, then people would have a case for
negligence.

People point out that fighters get hurt at Pennsic in the woods battle when
limbs enter through the faceplate.  However as a result of that happening
the event coordinators show due diligence by scouring the fighting area,
picking up debris and cutting low hanging limbs to reduce the likelihood of
injury.  I believe in his mind the SEM was just expecting the CA community
to show the same diligence.

Lochac and Southern Reaches and their bird blunts and face shields are only
sort of a argument for an alternative.  When the larger 1" plus profile
blunts were required by corpora those areas went before the BOD and asked
for a waiver with the understanding that in CA activities all participants
would have a mesh or screen that would prevent a missile from entering the
helm.  As a result they have CA in far fewer battles than the mainland does
and the CA battles are smaller because all the people who don't have face
screens, or don't want to put on their face screens, or simply don't want to
get hit with a 5/8 hard rubber bird blunt just go sit out the battle.  The
result is that archers further segregate themselves from the fighting
community.  It is my understanding that those areas plan on asking the BOD
that their waiver be extended to cover APDs also.

I believe that the decision was made too quickly, with little concern for he
economic impact that it will have on the CA community.  I believe the new
standards were announced without regard for compatibility with current
equipment.    I believe the policy is extreme and a simple bulbous nock
would have been enough. I believe the announcement should have come from the
SAM rather than the SEM.  I believe this is a challenge the CA community can
overcome.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
eadric at scabrewer.com