[Ansteorra-archery] Steppes Warlord Archery Review:

ironwyrm at juno.com ironwyrm at juno.com
Wed May 30 08:56:01 PDT 2001

Greetings all,

If you did not attend Steppes Warlord this year it was your loss.  It was
a grand event!  I shall only report the results of archery events here
and leave the other events to those who conducted them.

Combat Archery - Won by Don Sebastian Forbishire with Jacques the Spinks
a very close second by only one point (Don Sebastian did gracelessly
share the prize with him!).

Light Siege Weapons - Won by the team of Ld. Lothair Wildehaar & Ly.
Brenna Beldame in a sudden death shoot off after a tie in the first
round.

William Tell Shoot - Won by Ld. William Ironwyrm.

The "Archer of the Steppes" was determined by the IKAC Shoot (A long
match which tests both the endurance and skill of the participating
archers of all ages).

Children IKAC Archery - Won by Brandon Dolwen (169 pts.)

Youth IKAC Archery - Won by Adrian Lochlainn (92 pts.)

Adult IKAC Archery - Won by Don Sebatian (244 pts.)

Don Sebastian Forbishire winning the title of "Archer of the Steppes" for
this years' Steppes Warlord!

Our newcomer archers would appear to be enjoying themselves as many did
attend Steppes Warlord and compete in the archery completions.

The tests on the new golf tube fletched combat arrows and bolts
constructed by Ld. Gilli did prove to be successful and encouraging even
though they did fall a bit short of my own personal expectations.  Ld.
Fearghus did bring many of the new "egg shaped balder blunts" for our
archers inspection.  We shall be testing those over the next few months
and try to post the results ASAP.

Ld. Gilli's  SEM Ruling Relief Auction did have a successful start
although the donations were somewhat slim.  My fellow archers please, Ld.
Gilli cannot be expected to bear the re-fit cost alone.  Look thru your
equipment, your closets, your garages, anything you can donate will help,
it doesn't have to be archery related items.  The next auction will at
the Academy of the Bow and if your donation helps to keep just one more
combat archer on the field it will be worth it.

The only sad note on the range was an impromptu Royal Round contest held
between the Barons of the Steppes and Elfsea.  With scores too
embarrassing to print, let's just say Elfsea's Baron Galen won and invite
both their Excellencies to Eastfield's practice range on Sunday for some
personal one on one instruction (Yes I know, you will both get me for
this later!).
I hope your Excellencies shall continue to indulge us with more of these
contest in the future as it is always great fun for the archers to cheer
our beloved Barons on to victory on the range.

Thanks to all the marshals and archers, Ld Fearghus, Ld. Gilli, Ld.
Karrick, Ld. Wilim, Ld. Lothair, Ld. Owen, Jacques the Spinks, Iames,
Roana, and her son Athwolf the hungry, who without their help this event
would not have run so smoothly.

Also thanks to the water bearers who took very good care of us, the event
stewards who indulged us with our range location and needs, their
Excellencies who have helped so much to restore archery in the Steppes to
its current level, & everyone whom I may have failed to mention that
helped to made this such a wonderful event this year.

Congratulations to all of our archery tournament winners!

Vi vat Steppes, Vi vat Ansteorra

In service,

Ironwyrm

Marshal of Archers Barony of the Steppes

PS: Our Kingdoms Archery Marshal and good friend, Lord Fearghus was
admitted to the hospital the morning after his return from the event.  He
was diagnosed with lower left-lobe pneumonia.  Lord Fearghus' real name
is Wes Duke and his room number is 321.  The hospital is:

Arlington Medical Center
3301 Matlock Rd.
Arlington, TX 76015
(817) 465-3241  ext. 3210

I spoke with Ld. Fearghus this morning, he said he was really feeling
much better and believes he will released tomorrow.  Please keep he and
Arabella in your thoughts and prayers.  Thanks!