[Ansteorra-archery] Auction

Mike Catron meggiddo at netzero.net
Mon May 14 10:15:47 PDT 2001

I have question, which is - The fighter is a cut-out or something
similar and not an actual fighter?

If the answer is, Yes to the above question. If there are no real
fighters involved in which the archer must survive then the scenario is
extremely limited in scope and lacking in real world applications.

I would suggest another scenario that our Central Region Warlord
suggested to me at the joint Elfsea and Steppes practice Sunday at
Randol Mills park.

I wish to thank the Barony of Elfsea and HE Galen for hosting the
practice there.

If you wish to conduct such a Tournament then include 4 or 5 fighters
with sword and shield, poles, ax and shield, etc... Space them out
evenly across a wide field - which you should have at Warlord. Distance
should roughly be 20 or 30 yards from the archer. Place the archer in
the center.

The archer must kill as many and/or all the fighters. The minimum
distance that an archer can use their bow is 15 feet, anything shorter
and the archer is disqualified.

The fighters must remain at their location until the following occurs:

The archer kills them, they walk off the field.

An arrow flies within 10 feet of them, in which case they are now
allowed to moved. In other words, they are now allowed to chase down the
archer and kill the archer, if they can.

The archer comes with 10 feet of them and thus freeing the fighter to
move to give and/or join the chase to kill the archer.

If the archer is not aware of the their placement or location on the
field in relation to the fighters, then the scenario could be all the
fighters are released by the archer who comes too close to them.

This would demonstrate the necessary knowledge that a Combat Archer
needs to survive on the battlefield. Then the title Combat Archer of
Steppes from such a Tournament would actual means something in the world
that a Combat Archer must fight in on the battlefield!

Fighting at Gulf War in the open field battles demonstrated what is the
normal for a lot of Combat Archers - meaning being run down by fighters.

It would also provide an excellent means of training Combat Archers for
action involving fighters.

The above scenario should include both experience and brand new
individuals to archery, plus the same type of mix for the fighters. In
addition, getting fighters and archers working together in a training
scenario. This would provide a true taste of combat for all involve.

In the long run it should provide Combat Archers with some clue of what
they can expect in future battles for the glory of Ansteorra!

Michael of the Fray