Travel fo RR Ranks was Re: [Ansteorra-archery] (no subject)

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Nov 21 12:09:05 PST 2001

I strongly believe that they requirement for and away shoot to earn an
official rank needs to stand for many reasons most of which Pug has already
stated (thank you Pug).  These include reasons like keeping us honest,
increasing the challenge (when you look at the data it is very clear that
most people shoot MUCH better at home), increasing the visibility of our
community to the populace at large, and within the archer community we get
to share with and to know one another better.

Is traveling really that big of a burden?  I think are plenty of
opportunities.  The vast majority of the branches in the kingdom select an
archer champion each year and a fair number hold regular or semi-regular
practices.  Within an hours drive of me there are 3 branches holding regular
practices and double that number have archery most of their events.  If I
extend the radius to within a 2 hours drive I pick up about 5 more branches
who regular have archery at their events and at least one more that has a
regular practice.  This is all without getting out of the Coastal and
Southern Regions.

Iaen and I have given this a lot of thought and we have discussed it with
many archers and marshals.  And there have been some suggested changes to
the travel policy.

It has been suggested that for the lowest rank of Archer in the ranking
system no travel be required.  For the middle two (or three) ranks the
requirement that you submit at least one score a year from outside you local
shire or barony would stand as-is.  For the highest two (or one) ranks it
has been suggested that travel outside of the REGION be required.

I really kinda like this because it  allows everyone who has submitted three
scores to earn a rank and wear a tassel and because I think that it is
doubly important for our best archers to travel.  Less accomplished archers
need to have the opportunity to shoot with and to be instructed and
encouraged by the better archers.  I believe that part of the responsibility
of being a Huntsman or Forester should be to travel, help out, and represent
our community.  For what it is worth, of all the people who currently have a
rank of Forester or Huntsman there is only one who has not traveled outside
of his/her region.  Whaddaya think?

If you have strong opinions or great ideas please submit them to your
Marshals who should include them in their reports to their Regional Uplines
who should then follow through by forwarding this on to the KAM and
discussing it with the KAM and his other deputies.

We have come a long way with the scores database and automating and
improving the system this past calendar year and we hope to do even more
next year.  Sometime soon we hope to start listing the averages for all
archers regardless of how many scores they have submitted or if they have
traveled or not.  A couple of months ago we started listing the averages for
everyone who had submitted at least three scores in a division but listing
the rank as "No Rank" if they had not traveled.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com