[Ansteorra-archery] Tassels

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Nov 28 15:25:52 PST 2001

"Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp)"
<Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil> said:

> Now this is the part I was looking at.  For a sinlge tassle, it shouldn't be
> a problem; not even for two.  But if you get three or four or five (if we
> ever figure a way for IKCAC), then that could be a pretty good size chunk of
> stuff.
>
> Then what?

Ya just wear more than one tassel.  Or jsut wear one at a time. I don't think
are going to get i nthe way that much.

Most other Kingdoms don't really do anything like this.  Some have badges
associated with the ranks but not for different divisions.

The only other kingdom I know that uses the tassels is the Outlands.  They
use a 12-inch overall tassel,  Here is what they have to say about tassel
making.

------
Basic Tassel Making

Tassels can be made from many materials. The simplest form of tassel involves
a large number of lengths of thread or yarn approximately 24 inches in length
that is folded in half and wrapped with another length of thread or yarn to
form the knot. Very elaborate tasssels can also be fashioned. This is a basic
guide to making a tassel.

1.  Cut a piece of sturdy cardboard approximately 12 and 1/2 inches to 13
inches long. It can be any width you like.

2.  Wind your thread or yarn around the cardboard length until you have the
desired thickness.

3.  Cut the thread along one edge of the cardboard and lay the threads out
flat on the table.

4.  Place a length of thread or cording across the center of the bundle
perpendicular to the thread bundle.

5.  Fold the thread bundle over the cord.

6.  Wrap your binding thread around your thread bundle approximately 1-2
inches below the fold to form the head of the tassel.

7.  Wrap several times to form the neck of the tassel.

8.  Tie the ends of the binding thread together using a square knot. You may
leave the ends of the thread hanging or bury the knot in the thickness of the
other binding threads.

9.  Tie the ends of the cording together using a square knot to form a loop
for hanging your tassel.

10. Turn the cord until the knot is hidden within the head of the tassel.

11. Trim the ends evenly.

For more information on tassel making, see your local library or these books:

Beaded Tassels, Braids & Fringes; by Valerie Campbell-Harding; Sterling
Publications; ISBN: 0806948914

Little Book of Tassels; Danielle Chiel; Milne, Sally; ISBN: 1863512608

Tassel Making for Beginners; Enid Taylor; Guild of Master Craftsman
Publications, Limited; ISBN: 186108062X

Tassels; by Susan Dickens, Jane Devine (Illustrator); Allen & Unwin; ISBN:
1865080810

Terrific Tassels & Fabulous Fringe; by Cari Clement; Krause Publications;
ISBN: 0873418190

The Tassels Book: An Inspirational Guide to Tassels and Tassel-Making, with
over 40 Practical...; Anna Crutchley  Tim Imrie (Photographer); Anness
Publishing, Ltd.; ISBN: 1859672221

-----

The Outlands also have head binding knots for the variosu divisions but they
also have other qualifications needed for the various ranks.  At every rank
there also some sort of inspection needed to assure a certain level of
competency..  To acheive a Bowmen rank (the second rank just like here) they
alsp require that you own all your own equipment, shoot at least 1 IKAC a
year, and must have knowledge equalk to that of the marshals (and are
strongly encouraged to be marshals).  You have to be a Bowman or better to
even shoot in their Royal Archers tournament but Bowman still have to shoot
in a qualifying round before they can enter the tournament.

For the Yeoman ranks and higher in addition to the above they enforce the
travelling/away score rules.  Yeoman ranked archers do not have to shoot in
the Qualifying round of their Royal Archer Tournament.

I think every kingdom that has a rtoyal round ranking system has the 3 scores
per year rule to earn a rank.  Some kingdoms follow a calendar year, others
just use the IKAC season.

In Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com