[Ansteorra-archery] (no subject)

heatherc at pop-server.austin.rr.com heatherc at pop-server.austin.rr.com
Wed Apr 17 08:26:56 PDT 2002

Hi, I am Rose.

I am new to the SCA (since January) and very new to Archery. I have been mainly pursuing cooking and textile arts, but am also interested in archery. I am looking for some tips on a few things:

1. Where to get equipment. Internet? Ebay? Anyone recommend any local shops? (I am in Austin - Bryn Gwlad)

2. What kind of equipment. I know I need a glove, arm guard, bow and at least 6 arrows, and a quiver. Suggestions on types, brands, styles, etc?

3. Where to practice? As far as I understand, Bryn Gwlad is not currently practicing archery, we lost our practice range on 9/11. Are there any other groups practicing that I could hook up with? I think I heard maybe Shadowlands??

I shot two Royal Rounds out at Academy of the Bow, one open with a 30lb (?) 'Scorpion' recurve (score 16), and one period longbow 50lb (score 14). I am hoping to eventually get into Combat Archery as well, once I can accumulate the proper armor and equipment (gimme like a year...)

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Rose