[Ansteorra-archery] A Look Back at 2002

David Ruff dmruff1 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 4 07:11:45 PST 2002

Welll then no-one has any right to complian that we
don't rank in the top 5, Can't out shoot better
equip'ed and more practiced shooters - ever, not to
mention that they have a better and more defined
ruleset. In my lone and humble opinion what i am
seeing is not a philiosohy thing - its more a
pyschological thing - and its beating a mule that
doesn't deserve it. Case in point and laid down before
you in many emails before mine -

1: More archers this year then last
2: We hold more titles in our area then last year
3: We have afew archers that play in our area that are
top ranked and in the top 15 SCA wide.
4: Archery as a whole in this area has grown LEAPS and
BOUNDS
5: there are more but you get the point.

As far as losing points with anyone - i am not here to
impress, i am here to play a game - yes a GAME. In
fact, why would i lose points with those that think
practice is boring? a very simple fact of life
dictates without practice you can not master. And that
statement coming from a master really has me
wondering. I have not seen ONE email that stated
"practice is boring" and i certainly invite those
people who i lose points with to email me - privately
if they like -, and blast me hard. I suspect i will
not get one email - why? becuase this is not about
practice - us archers are doing what we can, and doing
what we feel comfortable with. Some better then
others, some more committed then others and NONE
better then the other.

Wouldn't you - instead of what you are doing - rather
plea for people to practice. Set forth ideas, drills
and skillsets to become better. Perhaps fight to set
the "playing field" level so we as a whole can compete
on the same terms and within the same level of play.
Isn't that what a master does?. I recognize your 14+
years in the game and i respect you for it, you and
afew others are what i look upto as a, "rising and
upcoming" archer. I have exactly 9 months in the SCA
as an active archer, 9 months behind a crossbow -
thats it - i am wet behind the ears. I am sorry Gilli,
my friend and fellow archer - but change the rules,
don't complain about them. Coach the team - don't
light em up. You will get a lot better results with
suger and guidance, then you will with vinagar and
bagering.

By the way - you got me wondering on the term archer

Main Entry: ar·cher
Pronunciation: 'är-ch&r
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French, from Late
Latin arcarius, alteration of arcuarius, from
arcuarius of a bow, from Latin arcus bow -- more at
ARROW
Date: 14th century
1 : a person who uses a bow and arrow
2 capitalized : SAGITTARIUS