[Ansteorra-archery] A Look Back at 2002

Wilim Penbras ap Gurgeneu wilim.penbras at pandora.org
Tue Dec 3 21:53:16 PST 2002

I recently became the Archery Defender for Gates Edge.  I didn't beat a
single person to do it either.

I've shot in several shoots where a Title was on the line.  Everytime I shot
against someone I lost.  I may have outshot them but I lost.  The key is to
just shoot.  At Gatesedge I shot against myself.  Every shot was a chance to
shoot better than the last time.  At the end of the day Gatesedge's rules
said I had shot well enough to be their Defender.  I shot with Godwin and
Eadric most of the day.  We all shot at the same time that is.  I never beat
them.  I wasn't against them.

Archery, and being an Archer, is about improving yourself.  You may never
win a competition.  That's not what it's about.  At least not for me.  I
shoot because I love to shoot.  I shoot because I love delving into myself,
the focus, the commitment to form.  My first score was a 4.  My most recent
score was a 54.  I've shot as well as the high 60s.  Will I ever be the
best?  I don't care.  Will I ever outshoot any of the true greats?  Maybe
but I don't care.  I don't shoot IKCACs because I see little point to them
in relation to the things I want to do.  I've already explained why I shoot
RRs and the occasional IKAC.

I shoot targets,  sometimes they're concentric circles, sometimes they're
animals, sometimes they're humans.

I make my own tackle.  I teach others who see what I do how to do it too.

I'm happy being me and knowing that today I shot better than yesterday and
maybe tomorrow I'll shoot better than today.  I'm happy knowing that maybe
I've taught a few people how to find that kind of happiness.

If that makes me something other than an Archer then so be it.

Wilim