[Ansteorra-archery] Wooden longbow

Sylvrfalcn at aol.com Sylvrfalcn at aol.com
Mon Jan 14 18:07:06 PST 2002

Greetings Fellow Archers,
  After considerable research, study, and experimentation, I have produced my
first self made wooden longbow. It's 72" long and draws 40 lbs. at 28".  It's
quite honestly one of the sweetest bows I've ever shot, and after 250+ arrows
down range during it's break in, it has lost absolutely no cast and developed
no appreciable set (1/2" of string follow over 72").  Now, nothing I've said
to this point is remarkable, it's a well made longbow and performs exactly as
a well made longbow should. What is remarkable is that I made this bow from a
SEVEN DOLLAR AND FORTY FIVE CENT red oak board (1"x2"x 8') obtained from
LOWE'S.
  Got the idea from the "Traditional Bowyer's Bible" and figured, what the
heck, if it doesn't work out I'm not out much money.  Fact: You can make a
perfectly serviceable bow out of a red oak board if you understand wood and
are exceedingly fastidious about picking out the right board.  Fact: You
don't need to buy special tools, ordinary woodworking tools will work just
fine (I carved mine using a homemade sheath knife, sandpaper, and a 4mm
chainsaw file to cut the nock grooves). Fact: Comparable bows sell on the
internet for prices ranging from seventy to one hundred and forty nine
dollars (I can give you three different web sites for 72" red oak longbows
made from boards if you want to buy one of theirs. Theirs are backed with
linen fabric so they don't have to be quite as persnickety picking wood with
the right grain/growth ring alignment).
  Am I excited? You bet.  Consider this, any SCA archer possessing some skill
in wood working, and willing to invest the time and effort, can equip him/her
self with a proper period longbow for less than half the cost of a cheap
fiberglass kid's bow.  That's got me plumb stupefied!  My next bow will be
rawhide backed, sporting horn nocks, and still cost around the same price as
a large pizza with extra toppings!
   One of my goals getting into SCA archery was learning how to make my own
period shooting tackle.  Last Sunday when I stepped onto the range my bow,
bowstring, arrows, quiver, and bracer were all made by my hand. The sense of
pride and accomplishment I experienced was immeasurable, because I knew I'd
reached a major stepping stone in my journey toward becoming an archer.
   The journey continues, and to all with whom I share it's path I wish best
luck and bright futures.

    Cheers,
Robert of Yorkshire