[Ansteorra-archery] His Royal Majesty and the Royal Huntsman

Timothy Rayburn timothy at elfsea.net
Mon Jan 21 12:30:43 PST 2002

>Their Majesties did spend a great deal of time among our archers on the
>field this day, talking, shooting, and closely checking the results of
>each end shot by our competitors.  Our King did also dazzle us all with a
>display of his own skill at bow & shaft.

Unto to the archers of Ansteorra does Lord Timothy of Glastinbury send greetings!

I wished to comment on the above quote from Lord Ironwrym.  This was the second time I've had the pleasure of heralding the Royal Huntsman tournament for Ansteorra, and while I myself shoot rarely I count myself at the least a "friend of archers".  What I saw at the Huntsman tourney is something that those who missed it will sorely regret.

His Royal Majesty did indeed shoot during the tournament.  He and his Royal Huntsman, HL Fearghus, took turns swapping back and forth shooting as "The Deadly Bye" during the competition.  HRM seemed to be completely enjoying himself (especially during the round shot at the 'Ansteorran Wilde Hair') and was also more consistently deadly as "The Deadly Bye" than was his Huntsman.

I suggest to you, Archers, that it will be some time indeed again before you have a King that is such a lover of Archery.  Who is himself are trained archer of notable skill, and who could do anything to rival the creation of such a fine order as the Arcus Majoris will no doubt be.  With no disrespect to my mentor, Viscount Galen, I hope that the archers of this kingdom will remember HRM Aaron at least as foundly in the years to come.

So say I, Timothy of Glastinbury.