[Ansteorra-archery] Help for a lurker.....Acting archery Marshall

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue May 21 10:10:56 PDT 2002

Greetings  and Welcome Ld. Diethelm.

The first stop for you archery questions should be
http://archery.ansteorra.org.

1.
Earl Barn is stil lthe Northern Regional Archery Marshal and his contact
information is available on that page and should be in the Black Star as well.

2.
Fopr any type of Target Archery to take place and an SCA event in Ansteorra
there MUST be a properly authorized "Target Archery Supervising Marshal"
present.  The is marshallate authorization that must be checked off on your
fighter authorization card.

There is a BIG difference in "Warranted" and "Authorized".

"Warranted" means that you are recognized as an OFFICER of the SCA and are
therefore empowered to act on behalf of the SCA.  For ANY type of SCA event
top take place (archery or otherwise) there must be at least one warranted
officer present.  If there isn't a warranted officer present then it isn't an
official SCA function.  You become warranted when your regional officer bute
you on the warant roster and that warrant roster is signed by the crown.
Warrants are signed by the great offficers and crown 4 times a year at
coronations and crown tournaments.  To be warranted to must be a paid member.

"Authorized" means that you demonstrated proficiency, have been found safe,
and have been giving the official OK by the marshallate to participate.  You
are authorized as soon as the appropriate authroizing authority fills out and
you both sign your authorization card.

For instance,  In my branch there are 4 "Authorized"  "Target Archery
Supervising Marshals".  Any of us can be the Marshal-In-Charge at a target
archery event.  Only one of us is "Warranted" as the Local Branch Marshal.

As a general rule in Ansteorra we try to warrant all of our marshals so they
can act and hold a practice without having some other officer present but
there are instances were authorized marshals are not warranted becuase a
warrant roster hasn't been signed since they were authorized or because their
membership has lapsed.  If you are authorized and not warranted then you must
have some other (any other) SCA officer present at your archery events.

I guess the lesson is that while you may be "acting" in the eyes of your
Baron and Seneschal, you can not officially "act" until you are authorized
and until you are warranted you will need to have some other officer at your
practices.

3.
I dunno that there is a BEST place to buy 60cm Targets.  Thin standard paper
targets will gost you 75 cents or more (usually around $1) and better heavy
weight, plastic backed, or woven/toughenized targets will cost up to about
$1.50.  My experience is that you get what you pay for.  The better targets
last longer and make up for the extra expense.

The suppliers listed on the links page at http://archery.ansteorra.org
typically have them in stock and I keep JVD premium target faces in stock.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com