[Ansteorra-archery] Signal Flags

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Tue May 28 12:55:36 PDT 2002

If the battle plan works without a hitch, everything is great.  If not, then
there's a problem.  And that problem is the age old problem is battlefield
communications: how to get the commanders new orders out to the troops he's
commanding.

Without the use of modern technologies, we are left with the same sort of
choices they had in period.  Those choices are: 1)verbal, ie runners, word
of mouth, 2)visual, ie flags, hand signals, etc, 3)audio, ie horns, drums
etc.  All have good points and bad points as well.

To get the word out that there is a change in plans, the commander may need
to use a combination of techniques.  For example: to tell a specific unit to
do a specfic task, a runner would be used; to tell the projectile folks to
expend all ammo as quickly as possible, a flag could be used and as folks
get the word they pass it on to those who can't see the flag.

What ever the method used is, it's use must have already been determined.
It's basic use should have been practiced so as to reduce confusion, ie
doing something differant than the desired results.

The commander will need a battle field command staff to use these
communications effectively.  The size of this "staff" would vary based on
folks avaliable and expected useage.  I'm not talking about a "planning
staff" here, but folks to act as runners of flag bearers.

If flags are the communication tool of choise, the information could be got
to the archers in such a way that wouldn't endanger them.  Here is how.  As
your tactical situation allows (such as relocating your position), glance
back to where the flag is suspose to be.  If you can see the flag do what it
indicates. If it appears that the folks next to you hadn't seen the flag,
pass the word as your situation allows. If you can't see the flag, continue
as you were doing. The folks next to you might also inform you of new
instructions of the flag if they could see it and you hadn't yet.

A system of flags could be worked out.  It would have to be kept simple.
The purpose of the flags would be to quickly convay commands over long
distance on the battlefield, not to get folks killed while trying to read a
long message.

I think a two flag system would work.  On a LONG length of ratan, the top
flag could give general mission directions: such as GREEN=continue as
planned, YELLOW=shift left, RED=shift right or whatever.  The second flag
could give general fire support instructionssuch as: GREEN=fire at will,
RED=reduce fire to conserve ammo, BLACK=mad minute or whatever.

But like Michael says, what ever it is, we *have to practice it*.
Otherwise, it will probably do more harm then good.