[Ansteorra-archery] New To The List....

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu May 30 15:48:03 PDT 2002

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> said:

> That is good. It looks the SCA.org website is finally getting caught up.
> When I looked about 3 weeks ago or so, it stated that the "standards"
> for marking non-contact archers would be left up to the Kingdoms. Now it
> states as you quoted.
>
> Maybe this means they will get the APD links up to date and working as
> I've requested them.

Actually those rules have been published for almost 18 months now.  Until
recently they were not hosted on the SCA.org web site but were instead hosted
on the private site of the Society Earl Marshal (which was linked to via the
SCA.org web site.  They have only recently been migrated to the corporate
site.

The SCA-wide missile combat rules that require non-contact archers to have
red pheons where actually published two years ago next month (June 9, 2000)
before Sir Jon stepped down as SAM.

Both sets of rules have been available the entire time via the the
archery.ansteorra.org website in the Manuals and Reference section.

It is also worth noting that per Ansteorran rules simply having White
Diamonds on your helm does nothing.  "Any Combat Activity that allows Armored
Non-Contact participants upon the Field shall have a briefing from the
Marshals prior to the start. All Combatants must be informed about the
presence of Armored Non-Contact participants and about how those Armored Non-
Contact participants may be neutralized/captured."

So it is basically on a per-event basis.  If there is no briefing informing
all participants that there will non-contact people on the field and how to
handle them then I guess the people wearing white diamonds are
simply "avocados with attitude" because they certainly cant be combat archers.

Therefore, by default, unless it is otherwise announced, all combat archers
in Ansteorra are full contact participants.  Even if it is announced, unless
we want to violate SCA-wide rules, non-contact archers should be wearing Red
Pheons and not white diamonds since people wearing white diamonds may not
under any ircomstances pick up anything that resembles a weapon.

In Service,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com