Law, rules, and policies was Re: [Ansteorra-archery] New To The List....

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu May 30 21:55:33 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Dewart" <gilli at seacove.net>

> Since when is pub.published on line an acceptable way of disseminating new
> regulation?  Oh ya I forgot that APD trash.  Well that stuff has never
been
> published here and I don't think in the TI either.  So if on line is such
> great thing why do changes in Kingdom law have to be published in the
> Kingdom newsletter.
>
> I maintain it's what in black and white that has been published an
> distributed via the mail that counts.  On line is, perhaps convenient, but
> it isn't law unless there is a hard copy of it signed by the Crown, Earl
> Marshal and Kingdom Seneschal.  Any thing else is just amusing fiction
that
> you can't hold anyone to.
>
> Is it getting warm in here?
>
> Gilli

Please tread lightly here. For as LONG a time as I can remember there has
been no commandment to print all revisions to the Policies of the Society.
In fact they don't even have to publish these things online but it is nice
that they do.

You are correct that per our corporate bylaws changes to Kingdom Law must be
published in the kingdom newsletter but I think you are confusing Kingdom
Law with Corpora, or with the By-laws or with Policy (such as the policy of
the Earl Marshal to require APDs).  Corpora, By-laws, and Policy do not have
to be printed and distributed although revisions to Corpora and By-laws are
almost always printed in the TI.

In our corporate Bylaws you can read the following

---------
A. The Corpora
The Board shall establish and maintain a document defining the structure of
the medieval organization used by the SCA in its re-creations, and including
minimum requirements and guidelines for that organization.  This document is
referred to as the Corpora of the SCA. The Corpora may be altered, amended
or repealed in part or in whole by a two-thirds vote of the Board. Such
amendments and alterations must be made in writing and must immediately be
placed in the records of the SCA, and appended to copies of the Corpora
***available to the membership***.

B. Governing and Policy Decisions
The Board may make decisions that amplify or interpret these By-Laws or the
Corpora of the SCA, and which may affect the medieval structure, branches,
and membership of the SCA, but which do not in the opinion of the Board
require amendment of the By-Laws or Corpora. Such Governing and Policy
Decisions must be made in writing and must immediately be placed in the
records of the SCA, and appended to copies of the Governing and Policy
Decisions of the Board of Directors ***available to the membership***.

C. Corporate Policies of the SCA, Inc.
The Board shall establish and maintain a document defining policies applying
to the SCA. This document is referred to as the Corporate Policies of the
SCA, Inc. The Corporate Policies may be altered, amended or repealed in part
or in whole by a two-thirds vote of the Board. Such amendments and
alterations must be made in writing and must immediately be placed in the
records of the SCA, and appended to copies of the Corporate Policies
***available to the membership***."
------------

The Society Marshals Handbook is classified as "Policy".  Since they are
"Policy" they do not have the be printed and distributed to all the members.
They simply have to be "Available".  The same is true for Corpora and
By-laws.  These are made "available" to you for download on the sca web
sites and other electronic means or if you call corporate they can send you
a copy.

Even within Kingdoms there is "Policy" and our Kingdom Law specifically
gives the kingdom officers the rights to revise handbooks and policy.  In
fact the law specifically gives the Earl Marshal the Right to revise the
Kingdom Marshallate Handbook.

Gilli, since you are a senior archery marshal in this kingdom I would urge
you not to encourage people to ignore the "Policies" of the Society or
Kingdom Earl Marshal or to infer that such policies are "amusing fiction"
simply because you have not been handed a copy by your mailman.

Everyone else, I would encourage you not to be misled.  Policies such as the
APD requirements are completely real in this kingdom and everywhere else and
will be enforced.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Coastal Regional Archery Marshal, Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com