[Ansteorra-archery] Gulf Wars Communication

Dewart, Charles R. --G3 Contractor (Anteon Corp) Charles.Dewart at hood.army.mil
Tue May 28 11:51:01 PDT 2002

Is the ravine battle worth a war point?

From: DAFPIG at aol.com [mailto:DAFPIG at aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 1:28 PM
To: ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org; Kein at austintx.net
Subject: [Ansteorra-archery] Gulf Wars Communication

Greetings Michael,

Your opinions and observations are always welcome. Many things were
discussed
and "chewed" on at the Archers roundtable.  I hope to have more of them
throughout the year.  I believe that the next Roundtable was tentatively
scheduled for Coronation.   you have posted some reasons for not having a
flag system of communications for the Ravine Battle at Gulf.  At this
stage,,
the Flag system is still just 1 ideal.  I will try to explain why this
system
MAY work for us:

> I have given this some more thought, the result - I am oppose to this
> for the following reasons:
>
> 1. Need more people who are carrying a bow and are shooting;

***No arguement there.  Recruiting, training and retaining archers is the
1st
business we need to see to in this kingdom

> 2. Carrying a flag is not being active; and does not provide the
> manpower that is needed on the field to support the shield walls
> directly;

****Ahh,, but it doesn't need to be an Archer who holds the flag.  I've
already thought of that.  There a several people I know who would Love to
participate, but cannot fight.  This position could be filled with such a
person.  Not everyone can mentally or physically shoot or fight.....

> 3. There is no way that I will turn my back on the opposing force to
> look for a flag

*****During any battle.. I often look around,,,even behind me several times.
In the close to 12 years I've been shooting , this is one way I gauge the
ebb
and flow of a battle.  You never can tell when the opposing force might send
a light cav. corp. in behind you.

> Or does the supporters intend to place the flags 20 yards behind the
> opposing forces line? (Rather silly question to ask is it not.)

*****Yep.. it sure is.  I feel placing the flag bears close to our Generals
is best.  That would be about 20 yards from the back line

> If I do turn my back on the opposing force, let us say, every 5th arrow
> to check the flag and turn back around. There may will be a fighter in
> my face due to the way combat is on the battlefield. Even in the ravine
> battle, the lines flow and ebb through the battle. If an archer does not
> their focus on the front and the sides then they will face that opposing
> fighter!

******Again,,, if an archer is unaware of his ENTIRE surroundings..
including
the backfield.. they are at a big disadvantage. Most archers are not on the
front line, but behind, ideally about 5 to 10 ft.  If the lines are that
volatile,, no-one should take their eyes off it.  But lines do stabilize and
archers need to take the time to analyze the entire battlefield.. not just
the front and sides.  This would be the time to glance at the flag.

> This does NOT seem to have been taken into account and gives the
> appearance that the battle will be stationary much like a "static or
> target" archery competition is.

*****This point I have to disagree with you strongly.  I have witnessed
EVERY
ravine battle that has taken place at Gulf Wars.  This is a basic Static
battle..period.  Lines are made and held.. ground is given and taken in
small
yards. There are some "exciting moments" but for the most part it is a
waiting game until the last 15 or so minutes.

> When I take the field with Fray, I have already received my main
> instructions, with secondary options - all based upon the fluid actions
> of the forces in play on the field.
> Therefore, I will not seek nor even bother to look at flags nor will I
> support such a effort nor will I instruct other archers that are either
> in the Fray or supporting the Fray to do so!

******I'm sorry to read that you SEEM so unwilling to support the Army of
Ansteorra.  Instead of coming up with an alternative or even suggestions to
improve the suggested ideal.. you so blantlty dismiss and attack it.
Why????
 I would like to think we are all on the same side...are we not?

> Michael of the Fray
> Combat Archer for the Fray
> Fray Archer commander (since 2000)
> Greater Fyrd

Octavia de Verdon.
Combat Archer for Ansteorra
Overall Combat Archery Commander of Ansteorra
Countess of Ansteorra