[Ansteorra-archery] What are things that are keeping out Combat Archers of the field?

Lothar Wildehaer rampanthare at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 15 13:10:58 PDT 2002

This is Lady Roana here.

 I have been studying archers and their uses during
this time period since after Gulf War in depth and
detail.  I beg to differ with the illusion that
archers were not skilled.

 The Kings of both England and Scotland were fanatical
about their archers practicing their skills. In both
nations archery practice was required of the yeomen
and lower classes.  I'm sure you have read about the
one or more kings banning certain activities to make
sure the archers practiced.

The French were late comers to the beauty and art of
archery and I haven't found a lot on them.  They did
use crossbows in France and from what I can see the
crossbow requires a lot less practice.

If you are using the unit mentality, which I haven't
really found in my research, then no they didn't go to
"fighters" practice every week and learn a bunch of
drills and commands.  Instead they were trained to
fire on command and keep firing until they couldn't or
they were told to stop.

IMHO Archers were and are highly skilled military
persons.

Lady Roana FitzStephen
Rabble Rousing Archer
Again with out her Lords permission.