[Ansteorra-archery] Red Pheons, Non-Cotact, etc.

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Oct 15 20:43:21 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Dewart" <gilli at hot.rr.com>

> Who measures the 10 feet?
>
> Gilli

And that of course is the other frequent source of argument.  Something
like:

Sir Sword:        "Your DEAD!  I  was within 10 ft of you!"

Lord Yeoman:  "AM NOT!  You were at least 12 ft away!"

No clear answer but if the archer argues too much then all archers are
liable to get a bad rap and lose in the long run.   If it was close and the
opponent clearly thought that he was within 10 ft then I think  it's best to
not argue and just die and walk off the field or go to res point.  If the
guy clearly never came close then.... Its a judgment call that the
individual will have to make.

This is actually why I like "Touch Kill" as an alternate form of Non-Contact
participation,  With a simply touch all of the argument ends.  Either you
were touched or you were not.  Dead or not. (Oh yes we can argue that also
but not as easily).

I just don't like scenarios with rules like "All Archers are Touch Kill".  I
think it is dangerous when said archers are not also required to be marked
with Red Pheons, and I think it takes away the choice from the fighter you
might want to perhaps take a only a couple of dozen arrows to the battle,
use them up, and then switch to sword and board to get in there and mix it
up.

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra