[Ansteorra-archery] Red Pheons, Non-Cotact, etc.

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Oct 15 19:26:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Catron" <meggiddo at netzero.net>

> Either you are a non-contact or light archer, then you must wear red
> pheons. By wearing the red pheons on your helm, any unopposed fighter
> who gets within 10 feet of you and you are dead!

> The other choice you have is to be a heavy contact archer, meaning you
> have two choices - you take the hit or if you have the opportunity you
> can yield just like any heavy fighter!

Actually once again ALMOST correct.

There is no such thing as a "light" archer in Ansteorra.  All of our archers
are "Heavy" archers meaning that we are fully armored regardless of our
level of contact.  "Light" participants are people who are not wearing full
SCA legal armor.

In Ansteorra we have Full-Contact and Non-Contact participants on the field
but they are all fully armored or "Heavy".

Non-Contact Combatants wear Red Pheons.  In Ansteorra these combatants are
dead when an enemy is within 10 ft of them but that fighter does not have to
be unopposed.   As long as the enemy is within 10 ft of a Non-Contact
participant they are dead even if the opponents are engaged with someone
else.  There are some kingdoms that said the enemy had to be unopposed, or
unobstructed, etc.  but those have largely slipped to the wayside because it
caused too  many arguments about what exactly "opposed"  or "obstructed"
meant.  Don't bend the rules.  If an enemy is within 10 ft of you and you
have a Red Pheon on your helm you are dead regardless of who is between you
and the enemy.

"The overriding consideration for any Non-Contact participant is personal
safety." (quoted from our handbook)

Non-contact participants should strive to stay out of harms way.  If they
are
within 10 ft of an enemy then they are likely in harms way or could be
before they had time to react.

It is also worthwhile to remember that in other kingdoms different rules
apply.  Some kingdoms are Non-Contact = Dead at 10 ft.   Other Kingdoms are
Touch Kill, some might choose to be 15 ft.    Our own handbook kinda leaves
things open for the use of something like "Touch Kill" if we wanted to when
it says:

"Any Combat Activity that allows Armored Non-Contact participants upon the
Field shall have a briefing from the Marshals prior to the start. All
Combatants must be informed about the presence of Armored Non-Contact
participants and about how those Armored Non-Contact participants may be
neutralized/captured."

Regards,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra