[Ansteorra-archery] What are things that are keeping outCombatArchers of the field?

Mike Catron meggiddo at netzero.net
Fri Oct 18 12:04:36 PDT 2002

People always die for their inability and suffer defeat for their lack
of training. Therefore education and discipline are priorities of the
Arts of War.
               Woo Qi's Art of War

A 100% guarantee is a pipe dream - the only thing that is 100% in this
life is the Grave!

A certain percentage guarantee of not being hit is already there - it is
being a non-contact archer. Dealing with overzealous or uninformed
fighters comes about by actively seeking out the fighter community and
working with them on a regular basics. In other words - education begins
with each combat archer who is really serious about combat!

The battlefield becomes a fluid and dynamic environment once the command
"Lay On" is issue. The only one in charge in this environment is name
Murphy!

This is not a video or computer game, it involves individuals who step
out on a field and engage in a contact sport! Those same individuals are
people and are not perfect!

I, as a heavy combat archer, for one, want to be on an equal footing
with the heavy fighters, meaning if I can shoot them with a combat arrow
which could produce a bruise on their body, then it is only fair to
allow the fighters an opportunity to inflect a bruise such upon me.

Nor I am looking for special rules to allow me on the field.
Side note - I require special equipment under my armor to take the
field.

I have two options on the field - take the hit or yield. I have received
blows in attempts to escape from fighters or been caught unaware and
received a blow. If the blow is well deliver - then I compliment the
fighter on a "good blow" and leave the field. I have also yielded when I
recognized the tactical situation that I found myself, rather than
accept the blow. I will "Thank the Fighter" for their courtesy and leave
the field.

The issue of distance has also been raised - what is the difference
between 10 feet or 12 feet or 15 feet? And who judges?

My respond to both questions is that the archer had better know the
difference more so than the fighter! And train on a regularly in judging
that distance. Plus, if you are able to work with fighters in educating
them in recognizing that distance then we all win!

The flip side to this 10 feet or 12 feet - a difference of 2 feet and
the fighter is running at you full blast calling "you are dead"! I am
not going to argue over 2 feet, especially if I am caught in "no man's
land" with no help around. That fighter will cover that 2 feet in a
blink of a eye - it is not worth arguing about. I will come back another
battle or another day! Who knows, I may hit that same fighter with an
arrow the next time around or may not. It is all about having fun

Tactical situations is not something that comes naturally to the
majority of individuals, it must be learned. The only way you learn this
comes from actually working with heavy fighters during their fighter
practices which melee or unit drills are part of that drill. Even if the
local area does not allow combat archery to take place - this activity
does allow one to train with fighters as a unit and see how different
tactics might work or not!  Of course, you would need to contact your
local fighters and discuss this type of activity with them.

The following is currently under discussion on the unit list that I am
support on the battlefield as a unit combat archer. The unit is the
Condottieri.

Condottieri where the professional troops of late period Italy (1350+)

The problem is determining who does or does not have to do something. A
lot of things are needed or helpful but they don't have to be done.
There are several factors that will determine what a unit has to do.

First is the scenario, is there any thing built in to scenario forcing a
certain action?

Second is the unit's tactics, is there any thing the unit must do to
carry out it's tactical style.

Third is their opponent's tactics, is there any thing the unit must do
because of their opponent's tactical style.

In scenarios the things that can affect what a unit must do are things
like victory conditions, terrain, generals, friends, and opponents.

Victory conditions are things like time limits, flags to hold or
capture, resurrections, or any other demented thing that they can think
of.

Terrain is obvious but it's use is not always so. In war events you do
not always get to pick your friends, if their tactical style does not
complement yours you are at a disadvantage.

Generals refers to the one with the overall plan, a good General is an
advantage, a poor general a disadvantage. The cohesiveness of the
opponents can be an advantage or disadvantage.

Is there any thing the unit must do to carry out it's tactical style?

Shieldwalls need secure flanks, poles need room to move, archers need
fields of fire, and everyone needs to be in range to hit. Must it stay
as one large group because of a lack of leaders or style?

Is there any thing the unit must do because of their opponent's tactical
style?

Do they need to cover up to protect from archers?

Bunch up to prevent a charge?

Spread out to prevent flanking?

Give ground or charge because they are out poled?

Respond to multiple threats as their opponents break into smaller units?

Learning to first spot such things and then how to weigh each for it's
relevance to the immediate situation is the beginning of tactical skill.

How you or anyone else wish to precede in the combat environment is
entire up to the individual?

An interesting list of questions/observations involving various
situations that you or anyone else should expect to encounter on a
battlefield.

Ld Michael of the Fray
Unit Combat Archer for the Condottieri
King's Archer