[Ansteorra-archery] Balder Blunts

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Sep 18 14:29:49 PDT 2002

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> said:

> Eadric Anstapa (eadric at scabrewer.com) said something that sounded like:
> > 1.  Baldar Blunts are about 5 times as expensive as UHMW cored blunts.
You
> > can find people who will make you whole combat ready arrows and bolts for
not
> > much more than what you can but just the Baldar Blunts for.
> >
> > 2.  Baldar blunts are only allowed on the Armored Combat field so if you
ever
> > hope to use the arrows or bolts in a rapier melee then dont use Baldars.
>
> Both items are true. The benefit of baldar blunts on the heavy field is
> that you don't have to worry about a marshal rejecting them for
> construction. This is primarily important when going to InterKingdom
> Wars where the rules may not be the same as Ansteorran.

I think any such worry would be very small.  It has been my experience that
Ansteorran Marshals do a better job of inspecting than most other marshals.
I can say for sure that we are much more picky than the other Gulf War
Kingdoms.

Also, Ansteorran standards for homemade blunts require 1 full inch of padding
rather than the half-inch required SCA-wide and in most other kingdoms.

If a blunt passes muster in Ansteorra I would be willing to best it will pass
anywhere else.

If a handmade component fails inspection it will likely be an APD as some
kingdoms are more picky than Ansteorra on APDs.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra