[Ansteorra-archery] New Combat Archery Rule affecting Egg Baldar Blunts

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sat Apr 19 18:01:49 PDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gerita" <hpockets at verizon.net>

> Nonetheless, my lord Eadric.  These incessant changes to our equipment are
> truly making it impossible to afford to keep up.

Lets be fair.  Incessant?  The last equipment change for archers required by
the society that I am aware of was announced two years ago and that was the
APDs.  I don't think that qualifies as incessant.  In that two years there
have been changes in other combat areas.

And as far as impossible to afford, I don't think that APDs where any great
expense when you consider a very good APD costs you about 15 cents per
arrow.  Yes, there are people who bought Baldar Blunts who can now not use
them and that is for now an expenditure that they can not recover.  However,
those were absolutely the most expensive blunts they could have bought.  A
good homemade blunt that would still today be legal would have costed about
a third of what the Baldar blunt did.

> T'would seem that it wouldn't Always need to be the archers making the
changes.
> Not to open the same can of worms yet again, but it's an obvious
situation.

Your are correct.  The archers shouldn't always need to make changes and
they are not.  There have been other people who have had to make changes and
there will be more.  in this case there have been incidents and it was
judged that the fault lies with the Baldar Blunts so that is where action
was taken.

That being said let me say that I am probably less excited about this than
most other people because I don't use Baldar Blunts.  I can easily afford
them but I evaluated them and determined that there were many more reasons
not to use them that were there were to recommend them.

To me the obvious situation is that is could have been much worse than it
is.  I firmly believe we have an SEM that is on our side and I would not
have said that a year ago.  It could have been much worse than it is.  Trust
me on this one.  I spent from 11AM until about 7PM on Friday working and
doing my best to make sure that it was not any more than just the Baldar's
affected.

Always in Service,

Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra