[Ansteorra-archery] Combat Archery Question

iaenmor iaenmor at swbell.net
Sun Apr 20 20:28:26 PDT 2003

Move into Right field it is much safer.  Seriously no matter what
constrictions you put on this game we play somebody is going to complain.
We try to make the rules safe and fair enough that most people do not
complain.  When you have a community as small as the archery one is, of
course it is going to seem as tho we are getting picked on.  Lets face it we
are playing a game in which the heavy fighters set the rules.  In this
Kingdom they are quite supportive of us and for that we owe them some
thanks.  In other Kingdoms this is not the rule.  These fighters are not
used to facing a plethora of archers and thousands of arrows and bolts
coming at them.  Of course they get annoyed and complain.  Right now the
Coastal Kingdom Earl and Archery marshals are doing their dammedist to make
sure that the game we play down here stays as safe as we can play but still
encourage CA.  If you ask me that is walking a fine line.

If you had noticed at Gulfwars this year there was what I would consider a
outstanding growth in archers.  When I see Barons, Knights, Squires and
other people who otherwise had not bothered before picking up crossbows and
bows it make you realize what kind of kingdom we are in.   The one thing to
remember is that this is a game.  Comparing this to fighting that actually
happened in the middle ages could be construed as ludicrous. When the armor
standards are the same as the time period and equipment is the same also
then we can call this a actual reenactment of the middle ages.  As it is
what we do is a sport based on those times.

As to the English they where a anomaly for there time.  No other nation in
the history of Europe ever came close to what they had perfected in their
time.  Not only did they have massive amounts of archers in comparison to
men at arms but, also had a support infrastructure in place to feed those
hungry bows.  The style of fighting they used in the later part of the
Hundred Year wars and the War of the Roses is probably the closest to what
we do in our wars.  dismounted Men at Arms with a heavy concentration of
archers was proved to be very effective against mounted horse.  If you look
at the disposition of the English armies during these times you will notice
that archers were in general out in front as the battles started and moved
back behind there lines or on the flanks as the lines closed.  Once this
happened they were free to shoot targets of opportunity.  The difference
between us and those times is that you do not see the great flights of
arrows at the beginning of battles due to the fact that we do not have the
quantity of archers they had.  Otherwise I believe we do portray the later
part of their battles well.

OK no I am getting off of the lectern and I will give the floor to someone
else.

Iaen Mor
Gate's Edge
Ansteorra