[Ansteorra-archery] Re: [Ansteorran_Marshals] New Weapon Approved for Use -- Thrust and Throw Javelins

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Apr 23 10:24:09 PDT 2003

Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> said:

> A couple clarifications please.
>
> > SHAFTS
> >
> > The total shaft length may not exceed 5 feet.
>
> Just to make sure. That means the *shaft* and not the shaft and tip?

It means the SHAFT.  Buy the 5' sticks of straight siloflex and you will be
OK without cutting them.  We aren't counting the encaps and padding as part
of the 5'.

> > There is no taping required along the length of the shaft.  In fact the
material markings on the shaft must remain visible.

> Is taping allowed if the markings remain visible? Do all of the markings
> have to remain visible or just enough for identification purposes?

If you wanna tape the shaft because it makes ya feel good or for
identification purposes, or cause ya think it makes the weapon look better
then go ahead.  You must leave at least one section of the factory markings
visible for identification.  The marshal should be able to quickly tell by
looking at thoese factory markings that it is D2239 Pipe and iis 160PSI.

> > THRUSTING TIPS
> >
> > Minimum thrusting tip standards are 2"inch diameter padding
> > with progressive resistant give without contacting the rigid tip
> > underneath. Heads must be securely fastened to the shaft with fiber
> > strapping tape
>
> Is there a *minimum* height of the thrusting tip?

Nope use the same "progressive give" standard that we have been using
forever.  Make sure ya have enough that it doesn't bottom out and that the
rigid material underneath cant be felt.

We are using the 2.75" solid fun/pool noodles.  Cut a 5" long peice.  Put it
on your drill press with a 1.25" forstner bit and drill a 2.5" deep hole in
the center of the foam.  Slide it on over the end of the shaft and tape it in
place.

> > The thrusting face/tip are to be taped Red.
>
> The whole tip or is just the face okay?

Make sure the face is covered with red and be nice and extend at least some
on the sides so that you can tell from the side that there is a thrusting tip
there.  Remember that javelins didn't really have a blade or cutting edges
like many other spears, they just sorta had a sharp needle point on them.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa
Kingdom Archery Marshal, Ansteorra