[Ansteorra-archery] fletching

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Fri Aug 8 06:32:58 PDT 2003

I agree with Gilli that it does not matter much.  I have made _lots_
of period arrows with various fletching arrangements; straight,
helical,different lengths, shapes, etc.  They all shoot at roughly
the same accuracy.

The straight fletched arrows will tend to shoot very slightly faster
(and therefore flatter), while the helical arrows will lose a small
amount of their speed to the spin induced by the helical fletching.

But at the same time, the helical fletching induced spin will help
the arrows fly a bit more consistent, especially in a strong cross
breeze.  If the arrow is spinning, it's centrificul inertia tends to
keep the tail end of the arrow from being affected by a cross wind
quite so much, while the tail end of a straight fletched arrow can be
affected by a cross wind much more.  This is important because if the
tail end of the arrow is pushed sideways by the wind, it loses energy
when it straightens out, which will cause it to hit the target a bit
lower than it would have.  The helical arrow, on the other hand, is
more likely to have the entire arrow pushed sideways in a cross
breeze, making it hit to the side instead of lower.

Note that I am talking about very small variations.  For most people,
it does not matter much.

I would say that if you have a light weight bow that struggles to hit
the 40 yard target, use straight fletching to get that last little
bit of distance you can.  But if you have a powerful bow, the loss of
speed from the spinning helical arrows is something you can easily
afford while helping to even out some of the inconsistencies of
wooden arrows and deal better with cross winds.  But really, most
people would never notice the difference.

By the way, I have never seen any documentation to indicate that
helical fletching is period.  As near as I can tell, all arrows were
straight fletched in period.  I am also not convinced that the twist
one way or another has that much effect on flight.  The wind tends to
straighten and flatten the fletchings.

Rumil Fletcher