[Ansteorra-archery] fletching

ironwyrm at juno.com ironwyrm at juno.com
Fri Aug 8 12:54:35 PDT 2003

I'll add my two cents if for nothing better than to let group know I am
still alive.

You are getting some very good information about fletching arrows here.
As someone whom uses both types of fletch, a heavy bow and practices on
quite possibly the most windy archery range in the kingdom I tend prefer
the straight fletch for faster flight, saving the helical fletched arrows
for extremely high wind conditions (25 mph +) and just deal with the
slower arrows drift in the high wind.  But I'm stubborn, winds like those
drive most lighter bows (40 lb. and below) & archers off the range.

As a instinctive shooter I like the flatter arc and faster flight of the
heavy recurve & straight feather fletched arrow combination, but that's
not for everyone.  You will have to find own shooting style.

Feather fletchings by their very nature do create a certain amount of
spin to the shaft even when fletched straight due to the airfoil
properties of the feather.  If you are just learning to fletch your own
arrows I would recommend sticking with the straight jig for a while until
you feel confident moving up to the helical one.  As Rumil had said I
cannot find any documentation for period helical fletching either, so if
you wish to play the period archer game stick with the straight fletch.

The best advise I've seen on this string is what our other fine archers
have said, and I must agree that whatever you are attempting to do
requires much practice to get it right.  Expect to fail, that's part of
the learning process, just keep trying till you get it right.  Soon you
shall become confident and skilled enough to stand with the best of them.

Ironwyrm