[Ansteorra-archery] Steppes IKCAC Shoot 113003

Greylond Aston greylondaston at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 18:59:23 PST 2003

I'm happy to say that my first duty as a Combat
Archery Marshall was to help run and submit the report
for the first Steppes IKCAC, at least in recent years
that is.

HL Ironwyrm and I had tried a couple of other times to
shoot one but scheduling and the Texas heat prevented
us from completing one. We had decided that no matter
what we would get one in before the end of this
season.

So we showed up at Steppes Archery practice with our
equipment and the other archers shooting got
interested in what we were setting up. Ld Jaques de
Spink was interested enough to go home after running
the IKAC to get his armor. Ld Jon Rolfsson was there
to test his latest modification to his crossbow and we
were able to talk him into trying it out on a IKCAC.
So by loaning out armor/weapons/ammo we were able to
get 5 Archers to shoot the IKCAC! While they weren't
scores to shake up the standings, we did rather well
considering that we were shooting into a headwind that
topped out at one point at 25 mph. And not just a
straight-on headwind, this one came at us from about
15 degrees to the right of the targets knocking our
shots to the left and short.

HL Wil Ironwyrm was victorious with his 111pt high
score.

I would also like to mention that Martin, who is a
relative newcomer to the SCA and Archery, donned SCA
Armor for the first time and with only a couple of
practice/instruction shots he came in 3rd with a 91!
Part of his score came from a Chest Shot from 40 YARDS
to go along with 4 Unit hits! Not bad for the first
time shooting combat arrows and getting used to
wearing a helm at the same time! So with the first 12
arrows that he ever fired from 40 yards he hit a Unit
Target 5 times, while wearing armor that didn't fit
him very well! After Martin's shoot was completed,
there was a gleam of joy in his eye and he immediately
told us that he wanted to become a Combat Archer and
shoot Live Targets! With a first score like that I
think we have a very good future CA among us. I think
the next workday that we have we will be helping him
with some armor.

So there Gilli, we have posted 5 IKCAC scores this
season. No they won't really change Ansteorra's
standings this year, but with some practice I think
the Known World better watch out for the Steppes IKCAC
crew next year because everyone once in a while we
have days when the wind is down to a managable 10mph!

Heh, it also looks like I'm going to be the unoffical
coordinator/motivator for Steppes IKCAC. Please
Ironwyrm don't throw me into that briar patch! ;0

If you can't tell I had a lot of fun doing it and look
forward to Feb 1st 2004, which is a Sunday and a
Steppes Archery Practice, for our first shoot of next
season! So right now I'm announcing that I'm going to
run an IKCAC on Feb 1st 2004, and we may run one or
two before that for instruction purposes. Anyone who
is interested should watch the Steppes schedule as I'm
going to make sure our local Archery Marshall annouces
the next time we are going to have one.

On a final note, a couple of the main reasons for the
IKCAC is to help encourage/train new Combat Archers
and get current CA's more experience with their
equipment. I'm proud to say that with the assistance
of everyone involved we accomplished both! I'd like to
thank all the other archers who were there for
shooting and helping with the timer and scoring.
Ironwyrm and I wouldn't have been able to complete our
scores without their help and thanks to everyone for
shooting!

Ld Greylond Aston
Steppes Newest IKCAC Fanatic