[Ansteorra-archery] Bow String Material

Sluggy! slugmusk at linuxlegend.com
Wed Jul 9 21:16:49 PDT 2003

Talan wrote:

>I have recently started to make my own bow strings, and i have ran into
>a huge problem obtaining suitable string to make them with.  Currently i
>have been using linen string, although i am only able to find short
>lengths (just enough for 1 string no more) and i cant seem to find it on
>the internet anywhere :(.

I'm not sure where you live, but a leather supply store is likely to
have waxed linen and some are likely to have unwaxed as well. A boot and
shoe repair shop might part with some, but they'd be more likely to
point you the right place to get your own. Of course, The Leather
Factory in Fort Worth only has 25 yard spools of waxed linen cord
anymore, though they have it in three or four colors...

>I did however manage to find this on ebay, "FLY LINE BACKING BRAIDED DACRON 15lb Test 300Yd "
>does anybody know if the dacron used in fly fishing, is the same dacron
>we use for bow strings?

If it's braided, it's unlikely to be the same stuff generally used for
bowstrings. The stuff you're looking for is B50 Dacron. It's available
at many archery shops, most online archery stores, etc. That's not to
say that it wouldn't make a serviceable bowstring. I think that may be
your research assignment :):):)

Three Rivers Archery sells it in 8 colors and in 1/4 pound and 1 pound
spools. 1/4 pound is nearly 1200 feet and 1 pound is nearly 4800 feet,
so you might get sick of making them before running out ;)

http://www.bowsite2.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=15&Product_ID=2886&CATID=70

I didn't find any raw material on eBay, but searching google for "b50
dacron" returned 130 hits, 99% of which had to do with bowstrings. Some
were how-to sites, some were selling B50, a few were not in English.

BTW, if you don't have it already, one volume of  "The Traditional
Bowyer's Bible" dedicates a large portion of the book to stringmaking.
My set isn't handy, so I can't tell you which volume. They cover as much
detail as combing and spinning your own flax into linen, so there is
much to be learned there. :)

Sluggy!

(who bought a skein of flax fiber at Gulf Wars and hasn't seen it since...)

--

Never attribute to malice that which can
be adequately explained by ignorance.