[Ansteorra-archery] Re: Crossbow shooting & Popinjay

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Wed Jun 4 13:12:24 PDT 2003

There are many forms of "popinjay" shooting.  Not all of them are at 40
yards.  I have heard of them as low as 10 yards.

Reckoned to be the oldest organized archery tournament in England the Papingo
 Shoot (the Scottish version of Popinjay) was organized in 1483 in the town
of Kilwinning, Scotland.  A bird (single bird) was suspended from the end of
a pole at the top of the 100 ft tall Abbey Tower.  They still hold that shoot
each June.

http://www.askarts.co.uk/aska.html
http://www.nvvth.nl/Nieuws/Nayr.htm

While the die-hard traditionals still hold those single bird shoot it seems
that most modern popinjay shoots (also called papegay) are as Andrew
described.  Three rings with a selection of chicks, hens, and a cock.

Often there are shot at much lower heights than that of the 30+ yard tall
Kilwinning tower.  40 feet seems to be a popular height.

http://freespace.virgin.net/neil.morris1/popinjay.html

http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/splomas/myarch/British/pjay1.htm

Did you know that archery did not appear at the Olypics until 1900?  At the
1904 Olympics at St Louis the archeyr was a Popinjay shoot, only American
competitors took part.

Regards,

--
Lord Eadric Anstapa