[Ansteorra-archery] Bowman's Tourneys

jspinks at ix.netcom.com jspinks at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 10 16:08:21 PDT 2003

To the those archers of Ansteorra that do us the service of organizing and running archery tournaments at events- I thank you.   I have, however, a proposal for you and the ranking archers of our kingdom.  I have long noted that there are many fine archers in our kingdom- some of whom regularly post target scores and some of whom do not.  I have also long noted that there are many archers that begin and reach a plateau and, for lack of improvement or teaching become discouraged and do not seek to improve their scores or do not enter tournaments. And against archers such as Don Sebastion, Lord  Carluccio, Lady Moreg, Lord Ironwyrm, Lord Ulrich, Lord Fearghus, and
others, what chance does the archer ranked at Bowman or below have?

This year at Warlord we held our first Bowmans Tourney for those that were new, or had less than a Bowman ranking, and had never won a tourney.  16 archers that rarely competed or had not done so before participated in a Royal Round plus an offbeat round. It was a lot of fun and I expect we will continue to offer such tourneys in the future at Warlord.  The winner was rewarded and recognized in court- something that is also rare for those of
lower rank or just beginning.

I challenge the other marshalls of our Kingdom to sponsor similar Bowman's Tourneys in the interest of promoting our sport and developing and encouraging our less experienced or less skilled archers to join in the ranks of the Foresters and Huntsmen. Lord Ulrich and I each sponsored and encouraged
two particular individuals in the recent tourney.  Who else would teach others and encourage and mentor them?  Who else will step forward and organize such  Bowman's tourneys- not for the champion archers in Ansteorra- but for tomorrow's champions?

Archers of Ansteorra- what say you to this challenge?

Lord Jacque the Spink
Steppes Archery Marshall