[Ansteorra-archery] Bowman Tournaments

Jennifer Shipman djshipman at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 13 10:16:27 PDT 2003

Linet Grey said:

>I would love to be able to practice more, but time
>and money restrict me to our once a week practices. Location is also a
>challenge. I have to drive at least half an hour to get to practices but I
>try to get to all of them.

I understand completely.  I work 2 jobs, so I only get one practice a week too.  However, one practice can be enough if you can really focus on what your are doing.  I agree with HL Plachoya when he says that "Once you can pull and
hold /cock and hold archery is about 90% mental."  For me, the difference between a good day and a bad day is all about focus (and apparently the occasional motorcycle injury ; ) ).  If I am "in the zone" mentally, the arrow goes where I want it to.  If I am distracted, it goes all over the place!  It also takes me about a 1/2 hour to get to practice, but I know it is often the difference between shooting well or not.  I commend your diligence in making the time to go!

>I was pleased with my performance
>though because I: a) didn't choke, b) didn't come in last, c) shot my high
>average, and d) had a lot of fun.

That's the spirit!  If I had only been concerned with winning, I would have quit a long time ago!  Let's face it, even having an HL in front of your name doesn't guarantee you will win every tournament you enter.  It doesn't even mean you will shoot well every time you pick up a bow.  But from your statement above, it looks like you have already found good reasons to keep trying.  I started shooting seriously back in 1995.  I was terrible!  I shot my first arrow off the wrong side of the bow!  But I was very fortunate to have someone willing to work with me and help me improve.  What kept me going were the small improvements I could see from time to time, and the fun people I got to hang out with at events.

Don't let yourself get down about a bad day.  Take a step back, take a deep breath, and remind yourself that this IS supposed to be fun.  And by all means (and I am addressing this to all archers) don't be afraid to ask for advice or help!  Remember that we were all beginners once upon a time.

In service,
HL Moreg