[Ansteorra-archery] Fiberglass and such

H.L. Agnarr Thorvaldsson agnarr at quik.com
Thu Mar 6 17:04:28 PST 2003

> We have not tried the post curing process.  I would love to see some of your
> testing results.  I expect the results will depends on the type and quality
> of the resin used and the curing process used by the manufacturer.  The
> good stuff doesn't need to be post cured and it doesn't cost much more.
> The problem with the bad stuff was that it had too much filler in it and not
> enough fiber and resin so I don't think the post curing would work The home > oven process might work for bolts but I doubt most people have an oven at
> home large enough to accommodate arrows. I also am not sure if this
> is a process we want to recommend.  I'll do some more research but I don't
> want people winding up with stuff even wore than what we started with.

This is why I wanted to check with you on the use of this process.  this way we (the archery community) would not have bad arrowshafts in use on the battlefield.

> Are you familiar with the Fiberflex Corporation that has the Pultrusion
> plant in Big Spring.  I have been intending to try and find out if they make
> .25" rod  as a standard shape and if so try and get some samples to test
> out.  Then obviously we would want to find someone who stocked and sold
> their stuff.

ahh why yes I am familiar with fiberflex, (I worked in their protrusion depts back in 84, before joining the Army).  The smallest size of fiberglass that is made in any of the three protruded type fiberglass plants here in the Big Spring area is half inch dia.  And yes; I have tried to get these companies to make rods in 1/4 inch dia. with no luck; as they are all mainly doing oil field or other industrial component related work so they do not work in smaller diameter rods.  I have spoken with my boss to see if he knew of any possible suppliers of this Item through the vendors he uses for the protruded fiberglass rods we use.   He will keep me informed should he find a maker.

> When ya get onsite for the war on Monday  and get settled please look me >up. I will be camping the Coastal/Gate's Edge  If you have time to help we >can always use hands at the inspection point throughout the week.  Also at >some point during the week I will be having a sit down with all of my deputies
>who are at the war.  Since Ogden cant make it I would love if you would
> attend to represent the Western Region.

I will be glad to help with the inspection point and will sit in on the archery meeting to represent Ogden.  I will be camping with the western region.

Agnarr