[Ansteorra-archery] Re: Correct APD Size

meggiddo at netzero.net meggiddo at netzero.net
Fri Mar 7 19:53:20 PST 2003

Need to clear up something for anyone who is new to this "Game" and is
interested in becoming a Combat Archer as oppose to a ballista operator.

In your example that you cited, what it means is that 1 Golf Tube equals
1 ballista bolt, this item is for ballista machines and not for a Combat
Archer.

Now it could also mean 1 Golf Tube would equal 1 Golf Tube Arrow - but
that is a whole different kettle of arrows. Golf Tube arrows could be
used here in Ansteorra if all is agree to allowing them either by
themselves or mixed with the other two types of arrows (wood and
fiberglass). For the most part, the three different types of shafts are
not allowed to be mixed on the battlefield in Ansteorra as a general
rule. On the other hand, at Gulf Wars and other other of Kingdom
(Ansteorra) war events the mixing is allowed.

The only advantage that a Golf Tube arrow has is that it can be
"gleaned" from the battlefield during the battle be re-used without
being reinspected first.

Wood and Fiberglass shaft arrows CAN NOT BE GLEANED NOR REUSED without
being inspect between battles.

Note - wood is a waste of time and money due to the high breakage issue
that exists on a battlefield. So, would recommend just going to
fiberglass shafts and stay away from the wood.

In the case of a angle Golf Tube APD for Combat Arrows:

1 Golf Tube equals 10 to 15 Golf Tube APD's. Depends upon how they are
cut and then "smooth" out (i.e., removing the rough edges both from the
leading and trailing edges). So doing the math, using the number that
you submitted will yield between 5,000 to 7,500 APD's.

Now if you are attempting to mass produce angle Golf Tube APD's, then I
can see someone wanting to do lots or whole cases and save by buying
wholesale. If on the other hand, if anyone is like I am - then I only
buy small amounts at a time, cut up what I need for new builds and/or
repairs, plus always keep a small number as back-up. Example - 10 Golf
Tubes will yield between 100 to 150 Golf Tube APD's. (I am very critical
when I am building combat arrows!)

The cost that I pay is an average of 69 cents a tube, did once get them
on sale for 49 cents sometime ago though. Had not seen them at that
price since though.

If on the other hand, several individuals want to go together and buy
whole cases - then go ahead. Just be aware of just how many Golf Tube
APD's will yield out of one case. Hope there is enough storage room for
all of them.

Michael Fray
Unit Combat Archer for the Condottieri
King's Archer