[Ansteorra-archery] Archery/Equestrian field setup

David Ruff dmruff1 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 1 05:13:50 PDT 2003

In fact,

We had one bow on sight that pulled 70# and would be
able to fire an arrow 200+ yards if the archer had a
bad pull and misfired it into the air. I purposely did
not allow the use of a 90# long bow which is the
starting pull for a traditional medieval longbow as we
had afew horses cross the downrange line and a bow
like that as we know from our history was able to
travel 200 to 250 yards+ and nail a person at that
distance with lethal force. All it takes is a arrow to
glace off the top of a target butt and it can take a
bounce upwards ***OR*** of to the side with
considerable speed.

Sir alexis was VERY pleasurable to talk with and
helped the archery relocate to a area where we had
good range and sight lines. I agree however the
concern for having to walk several hundred yards in
heat when a horse can travel that distance in seconds
with not nearly the impact as a human will take.

There is a happy medium i am sure, and we as arachers
and equestrian followers just need to find it and help
eachother.

Ulrich

http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/armored/marshal_handbook.pdf,