[Ansteorra-archery] Youth Marshalling

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 27 11:01:41 PDT 2004

>How on earth do the kids get involved and gain experience, then?  I
>have a 13 year old and 15 year old, one very interested in archery
>and one in fighting.  Although we have a wonderful contact for
>archery, I have yet to find anyone who holds fighter practice for or
>even works with that age group, at least anyone within my general
>area.  This is extraordinarily frustrating, at the least, for a mom
>who wants her kids to know and experience something other than
>*prime time* !!!
>
>Anne, from Waco

Target archery is not limited to adults, only combat archery is.
Your children may participate in target archery to their heart's
content.

Many groups have this problem in that youngsters want to get involved
in combat activities, but there are no local youth marshals to
support it.  In most cases where this is resolved, it is by the
parents; sort of like Little League coaching.  So my recommendation
is that you contact your Regional Youth Combat Marshal and find out
what it would take for you to become a youth combat marshal, either
for armored combat or rapier combat, as your child is so inclined.
This does not mean you need to get out there and get bruised every
week like adult armored fighters do.  Rather it means that you will
need to learn the rules, demonstrate your competence to the Regional
Marshal's satisfaction, and get authorized as a Youth Combat Marshal.

You may find that once you have a venue for children to participate
in, kids from surrounding areas may flock to your practice, as there
is a wide-spread need for such marshals.

Youth Combat functions are for that age group only.  There is no
mixing between adults and minors.  So they will not be able to
participate in combat activities at wars unless there are youth-only
combat activities at those events.  But perhaps after you become a
Youth Combat Marshal, you can start something in your area.

Rumil Fletcher