[Ansteorra-archery] How old?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Apr 27 15:46:54 PDT 2004

Anne wrote:

> How on earth do the kids get involved and gain experience, then?  I
> have a 13 year old and 15 year old, one very interested in archery and
> one in fighting.  Although we have a wonderful contact for archery, I
> have yet to find anyone who holds fighter practice for or even works
> with that age group, at least anyone within my general area.  This is
> extraordinarily frustrating, at the least, for a mom who wants her
> kids to know and experience something other than *prime time* !!!
>
> Anne, from Waco
> */
> /*

Master Rumil gave an excellent response in his post title "Youth
Marshalling".  There is nothing prohibiting youth from participating
with the adults in Target Archery, Equestrian Activities, Arts and
Sciences, etc.  Youth can compete head-to-head against adults in Target
Archery (which is really what we should be discussing on this list) and
in fact we have had minors compete in and eliminate adults in the Royal
Huntsman Tournaments on at least 4 different occasions (perhaps more).
Duke Patrick Michaels son Fernando (now an adult) came close to winning
a Royal Huntsman tournament before he turned 18.  The only place where
minors can not compete head to head against adults is in COMBAT.  For
those we have the Youth Combat and Youth Rapier programs where the youth
compete against others in their own age groups.

The youth combat programs are becoming more and more popular every day
and I had a great time watching them at War this year.  I was amazed at
how good some of the older kids where.  In a few years we are really
going to have some outstanding 18 year old fighters out there.  I wonder
how long it will be before we see a white belt on an 18 year old?  How
about a cornet?   Right now to my mind the things that keep the youth
from fighting more are the lack of youth marshals , the lack good loaner
gear to get the kids started, the lack of organized or well promoted
youth combat activities, and at times what has appeared to me to be a
reluctance of parents to spend money on good equipment for their youth.

More youth at the target archery range is great.  We always have kids at
our events and usually at all our practices.  Right now there is no such
thing as Combat Archery for kids as our Youth Combat doesn't allow
missile weapons but that doesn't mean some of us aren't trying to think
of ways to get it passed.

Regards,

--

HL Eadric Anstapa