[Ansteorra-archery] How old?

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Thu Apr 29 17:53:36 PDT 2004

Bob Dewart wrote:

>So, where's the legal issue in making them non contact combat archers?
>Fighting wise all they need to know is how to kurl up if they have to.

We should NEVER imply that "Fighting wise all they need to know is how
to kurl up if they have to."  There is more to an authorization than
that and you know it.

In Ansteorra everyone on the field must be prepared to take a blow.  A
red pheon is not a guarantee that you will never get hit.  Non-contact
participants get hit all the time by accident.

Bottom line is that in Texas and many other states there are many
activities where Minors do not participate with adults because of legal
and liability issues.

Even if they were restricted to non-contact participation the could
still get shot.  All it takes is one adult deciding that the minor has
been put in harms way and they can sue on behalf of that child.

Combat arrows leave bruises.  I have seen Baldar Blunts leave bad
bruises. A coach or teacher that sees bad bruises on a child are often
obligated to report it and have it investigated

>Archery wise they can shoot all day long at IKCAC targets or adult fighters
>that want the practice.

Kids can shoot at IKCAC targets all they want.  That is target archery.

A person in armor in NOT a "target".  The moment you shoot at a real
person in armor (which is what I assume you mean by "adult fighter")  it
becomes Combat Archery  and everyone involves need to be properly
authorized.  That means that the person in armor has got to be combat
authorized, the person doing the shooting has got to have a CA
authorization, and you gotta have a CA marshal present.  Since kids
can't be CA authorized or on the same combat field as the adults ya
can't do that.

Regards,
--

HL Eadric Anstapa