[Ansteorra-archery] Pomp and Ceremony

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Feb 17 22:39:29 PST 2004

Bob Dewart wrote:

>Some of the problems I've heard so far.
>
>1.  P)  We'd be too much like the heavies.
>    S)  We're already like the heavies by doing head to head shoots.

Too much like heavies?  NOT!  Descriptions of period tournaments
describe head-to-head types of shoots but also many many others.  Of
course if there is more than one person on the line at the same time
shooting at the same target then it is going to be head-to-head and I
dont think there is ever anything wrong with that.  However, that
doesn't mean it has to be an elimination style tournament.  Personally,
I like all sorts of shoots, head-to-head, elimination, first shot, etc
at all sorts of targets.

We most often here don't run elimination shoots because we have all day
to get our tournaments done. Head-to-head is fun as I think it helps
build some interest to see closely matched archers shoot against one
another, elimination ttournaments are I think only useful when you have
a limited time to get the tournament over and done with.

About the only tournament format I dislike are the ones where you just
go out and shoot a RR or IKAC and the high score wins.  Personally I
just don't find that much fun, I can do that any time,  and I can look
at the RR database and pretty much tell who the top 5 are going to be
before we even start shooting.  Other people like this format because it
is comfortable to them or because it also allows them to get a score in
but personally I dont find them exciting.

>2. P)  There's a lack of heralds.
>    S)  There's always at least one herald calling the pairing.  Write all
>the "holder of this and that" on the card.  Herald reads the stuff for the
>first pairing sets only.

Yeah, we need for heralding and more real heralding/ry.

>3. P)  The event might be too busy.
>    S).  The archers are almost always off by themselves.  We are our
>audiance.  If the Highes or Crown can' be there, the archers can be
>presented to the Marshal in Charge.  And not just for RH but every time we
>have a competition.  IMHO we need to improve how we do things, even if no
>one else is watching.

For we, the matter of the event being too busy has nothing to do with
who is watching but rather the time allotted to get it over and done
with and the demands that the archers and marshals may have to be
elsewhere at times.

>4.  P)  Might not be period.
>    S)  Where do I start here.  Let's just do this.  For the competition to
>be period, one of the things needed is period tackle.  As near as I can
>tell, that would be a pretty small competition.

Certainly there are things we do all the time that aren't period and
often not in period style.  I wasn't suggesting any type of compulsive
authenticity but rather that  period style tournaments could be fun and
I think should be something that we strive for.  Not everyone has the
skill or money to afford period gear but it would cost relatively little
to run a period (or near period) style tournament.

I have always thought it would be a blast to run a Scorton Silver Arrow
style of tournament (slightly post period).  One thing neat about that
tournament is that there are many winners throughout the day.  That was
kinda the inspiration of the Gates Edge Tournament this past year with a
prize up for grabs every round.  While truly period tournament
descriptions are harder to find, detailed descriptions of the
tournaments of  near period groups like Royal Edinburgh Archers (1600)
the Richmond Archers (1673), and the Scorton Archers (1673) are easier
to find because those groups are still holding their tournaments and
have pretty good records.

Regards,

-Eadric