[Ansteorra-archery] Pomp and Ceremony

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 12:26:30 PST 2004

>Ok, let me see if I have this ....In order to compete in anything
>other than a local type competition, I should have toget my name
>registered and a device created. Well, I do have a problem with
>this. Lots of us have perfectly good names, but have heard of enough
>horror stories of people trying to get devices and names approved
>that we are more than a little reluctant to even make the attempt,
>not knowing any heralds that we have enough trust in to get us
>through the process. I'm not sure if it is worth the headaches and
>frustration.

Have you personally tried?  I have heard horror stories too.  But my
experience has been far removed from those stories.

>That being said, I don't see how having one's name or device
>registered determines if we 'play the game right.' I was told when I
>started 'playing' this game 2 years ago, by a knight of some repute
>in the Kingdom of An Tir, that he recommended that one play forat
>least a couple of years before settling on a specific time period or
>name. He himself had changed his name after years of playing under
>another name. I have a name that is period. It is not the name I
>would like to have registered as I have only recently discovered an
>alternate spelling of the name I wanted to have that IS period where
>the first choice was not. I am not completely sure if it is worth
>the hassle of having everyone that already knows me as Linet Grey
>trying to recognize me as or learn another name.

Never did I suggest you can't play locally or kingdom wide if you do
not have your name and arms passed.  This entire discussion pertains
to the use of banners with your arms on them.  For that to work,
there would need to be a substantial number of people with passed
arms.  Pertaining to my comment regarding "play the game right," you
can like or dislike as it suits you, but that is simply the way it
is.  I agree with your "knight of some repute" that a year or two
should go by before you start thinking about registering a name and
device to ensure you have landed on something you like.  But there
are problems associated with waiting longer, such as getting awards
under one name, then changing your name to something else.  But how
many of us on this list have been playing longer than 2 years?
Almost all of us, I think.

>Sorry if this is a bit on the b*tchy side, but the one way to get my
>hackles up is to say that I HAVE to do something in order to be
>'popular'. Didn't work in high school and won't work now. I will do
>my duty to the Crown, my Barony, and to the Knowne World to the best
>of my ability and with the respect that each of them are entitled
>to. If that isn't 'playing the game right' I don't know what is.

What on Earth are you talking about?  When did I EVER say or imply
the word "popular?"  Nor did I ever suggest you HAVE to do anything.

>Linet Grey (also known as the Outspoken)

Perhaps you don't understand what it means when I discuss playing the
game right.  People come to the SCA for a lot of different reasons,
some to party, some from an interest in Medieval history, some like
to fight, etc.  But like it or not, this is a Medieval Reenactment
Society.  Our goal is to reenact the Middle Ages and Renaissance in
all its (better) aspects.  Now, no one is expected to have all their
Ps and Qs dotted on day 1, or year 1, or ever, for that matter.  Some
people want to just party, or shoot archery, or whatever, and that is
fine.  But it is understood that some people want to really play the
game right, and that involves a little more effort.  That could mean
using a knife to eat with at feast instead of a fork.  It could mean
registering your name and arms.  It could mean making a period tent
to replace that worn out plastic one.  It could mean shooting at
tourneys with fully period equipment instead of that fiberglass bow.

If you go to Crown Tourney and look at the "shield board," you will
note that there are very few blank shields.  That is because it is
understood that most people who compete in Crown Tourney have moved
to that next level and are willing to take that extra effort to play
the game right.  It has nothing to do with being popular.  It has
everything to do with trying to further advance the period experience
for yourself and others by improving all aspects of the game.

I suppose you may respond that if that is what it means to "play the
game right" then I can keep it.  But whether you like it or not, that
is the way it is.  Not because I say so, but its just the way it is.
This may come as a surprise to you, but some households and groups in
this kingdom encourage their new people to start the process of
registering their names right away.  When I was Zodiacus and was
entering the passed names and arms each month into the OP, I was
amazed how many people were registering names (and even arms) who had
not even received an AoA yet.  And in some other kingdoms, it is
common to do so.

Rumil Fletcher