[Ansteorra-archery] Canting, was a short treatise on heraldry.

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 18 13:10:53 PST 2004

>  >
>>  How about some other examples of canting:
>>
>>  Ironwyrm - a black dragon, wyvern, gryffyn.  Black being the color of
>iron.
>>  Longhair - a wooly headed man, perhaps with a braid.
>>  Aelfwine - Literally Elf (or fairie) and Wine.  So a good cant would
>>  be an elf and a wine skin.
>>  Redulf - A red wolf.
>>  Cooper - A barrel.
>>  Arrowsmith - An arrowhead above an anvil, or below a hammer.
>>  Miller - a waterwheel or grindstone.
>>  Talon of Blackoak - An uprooted black oak held by a huge truncated
>>  claw with talons.
>>  Blackthorne - A branch with thorns on it.
>>  Eadric of Hastings - An axe combattant with a kite shield to
>>  represent the competing armies of Harold Godwinson and William of
>>  Normandy.
>>
>>  Anyway, you get the idea.  You will need to find out what your name
>>  means in the original tongue, but this can get you started in the
>>  right direction.
>>
>>  Rumil
>

>We are SOOO not going there with Wilim Penbras as a heraldic cant.
>
>Billy

Oh, please, come on.  I would like to see that!  :)

Speaking of good examples, I really like the arms of Elric Dracwin of
Swansea.  I can't remember the blazon right offhand, but it is a
classic example of how to do it.  I recall it has a couple of swans
that appear to be floating on a blue sea.  When I first saw it, I
didn't have to even ask whose it was, I just knew.  That is what
canting is really for.

Elric, can you blazon your arms for us?

Rumil