[Ansteorra-archery] Pomp and Ceremony

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 11:44:45 PST 2004

----Original Message Follows----
From: Rumil Fletcher <rumil at sbcglobal.net>
To: Archery within the Kingdom of Ansteorra
<ansteorra-archery at ansteorra.org>
Subject: RE: [Ansteorra-archery] Pomp and Ceremony
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:47:13 -0600

>Why? What's wrong with someone coming in with a white banner or sheild. Yes
>there might be more than one of them, but there is no reason that one would
>have to have a 'registered' name to participate. One could also be
>represented by the arms of one's sponsor. It might be very interesting to
>watch the progress of those 'whites' as they reach higher levels of
>expertise and eventually find their names and register them along with
>their devices.
>
>Linet

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.  That is the way honor
shields usually are used.  Of course, the primary place honor shields are
used is Crown Tourney, and you are expected to "play the game right" if you
are competing there, which means you really ought to have a name and device
passed.

Ok, let me see if I have this ....In order to compete in anything other than
a local type competition, I should have toget my name registered and a
device created. Well, I do have a problem with this. Lots of us have
perfectly good names, but have heard of enough horror stories of people
trying to get devices and names approved that we are more than a little
reluctant to even make the attempt, not knowing any heralds that we have
enough trust in to get us through the process. I'm not sure if it is worth
the headaches and frustration. That being said, I don't see how having one's
name or device registered determines if we 'play the game right.' I was told
when I started 'playing' this game 2 years ago, by a knight of some repute
in the Kingdom of An Tir, that he recommended that one play forat least a
couple of years before settling on a specific time period or name. He
himself had changed his name after years of playing under another name. I
have a name that is period. It is not the name I would like to have
registered as I have only recently discovered an alternate spelling of the
name I wanted to have that IS period where the first choice was not. I am
not completely sure if it is worth the hassle of having everyone that
already knows me as Linet Grey trying to recognize me as or learn another
name.

Sorry if this is a bit on the b*tchy side, but the one way to get my hackles
up is to say that I HAVE to do something in order to be 'popular'. Didn't
work in high school and won't work now. I will do my duty to the Crown, my
Barony, and to the Knowne World to the best of my ability and with the
respect that each of them are entitled to. If that isn't 'playing the game
right' I don't know what is.

Linet Grey (also known as the Outspoken)

My main problem with white banners is that there are likely to be so many of
them.  If it were just a few, no problem.  But if it is more like 2/3 of
everyone there, then people are likely to ask what the point is.

This might be a good time to display those archery tassels too, hanging from
your banner or banner pole somewhere.

Rumil