[Ansteorra-archery] IKAC & IKCAC Medalions

Rumil Fletcher rumil at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 26 14:19:21 PST 2004

Gilli wrote:

>Well the problem with giving the medallions and tassels out near where the
>archer lives is that it does very little in getting the archers name known
>outside his area.  Granted, it may only be a little bit of acknowledgement.
>But it at least gets the archer's name heard away from home.

Why is that a good thing?  Is it not better to get the
acknowledgement out amongst his or her friends and associates.  How
would it benefit an archer from Bryn Gwlad to get a tassel in
Northkeep where nobody knows him or her?

Personally, I think if an archer wants to become known around the
kingdom, he or she should travel and compete in other regions, just
like squires, cadets, and apprentices do.  If a person unfamiliar to
me is called up in a court and receives a tassel, do you think I am
likely to remember that person's name?  Probably not.  But if that
archer comes and competes in a local tournament near me (and shoots
really well), you can be sure I will remember him or her.  I will
also remember other things too; like how that archer comported
himself, or was he or she courteous and attired in period garb, or
did that archer make some of her own gear that caught my eye?  Those
are attributes at least as important as your average score.  Courts
are great for recognition.  But if you want your name to be
remembered, there is nothing like personal interaction.  So I submit
that handing out tassels at far-away events accomplishes little.

If you are talking about handing out tassels at Coronation or some
other Really Big Event, please don't.  Those courts are long enough
without adding on items of local or narrow interest.

>Most non archers don't know who is who.  But if they've heard the name and
>seen someone getting a metal or tassels for their archery; folks will
>remember it.

I won't unless I already know that person.  (See above.)  I have
enough trouble remembering the names of new peers and nobles unless I
already knew them.

It's a big kingdom, and everyone has their own interests.  Most
non-archers don't give a flip who shot what rank anymore than you
care about the standings at Academy of the Rapier.

>Name recgonition is one "big" thing that could hold folks back.

Frankly, it is my personal belief that if people participate only to
get recognition, they are doing it for the wrong reason and will get
little satisfaction from it.  This is because there will never be
enough awards and recognition to keep that thrill going.  They should
participate because they enjoy it, in which case the recognition is
icing on the cake.

Personally, I shoot because it is pleasant exercise, I enjoy the
fresh air, it is a good way to focus on something and wall out the
stresses of the week, and I can visit with my friends while doing it.

>BTW, Wiesenfeur's last AoB was, I think, in 1993 or 94.  My first trailor
>died at that event.  Had to rent a trailor to get my stuff back.

That seems about right, probably '94.  It was a combined event with
the Academy of the Rapier autocrated by (the now) Don Donovan
Fitzpatrick.  It would probably not have happened at all except that
Donovan (a rapier fighter) was willing to piggyback the AoB onto the
AoR, which was his real interest.

That is a gap of about 9 or 10 years between the two AoBs.  Both
northern AoBs were hosted by Wiesenfeuer.  I would not mind seeing
another northern group have a go some day.

Rumil Fletcher