[Ansteorra-archery] IKAC SCORES UPDATE

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Tue Jun 1 21:29:56 PDT 2004

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: LD.BLACKMOON

  FROM WHAT I'VE SEEN , THE CROSS BOWS HAVE A BIG ADVANTAGE OVER THE BABY COMBAT BOWS UNLESS YOUR ON A TREELESS FIELD . WE HAD TO SHOOT SO HIGH TO GET THE ARROW 50 YARDS , THAT IT WAS HITTING THE TOPS OF TREES ON THE WAY DOWN AND DEFLECTING FROM THE TARGET .
I think that maybe now that the yardages have been reduced there may be a crossbow advantage,  maybe.  I thin kthe advantage is actually going to be to whoever practices the most.  Personally I think that handbows still have an advantage at longer ranges because the arrows are more stable in flight and I think at extreme ranges you can hit more with the handbows.

  ALSO , HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO DISCOVER WHICH SET OF DISTANCES WE ARE SUPPOSED TO USE ??
  I JUST USED THE DISTANCES PRINTED ON THE SCORE SHEETS.
  IN THE POSTED RULES ,
  THE WRITTEN NUMBERS ( FIFTY YARDS ) DON'T MATCH THE # NUMBERS ( 40YARDS )
  AND AT TIMES THEY BOTH DIFFER FROM THE DISTANCE ON THE SCORE SHEET.
Both the scoresheet and the rules online say 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards.  The yardages were reduced in 2003.

Also remember that the new rules  require you to use 1.25" diameter minimum blunts (no more bird blunts) and your thin shafted arrows must have APDs.  Basically you gotta use arrows that are combat legal in Ansteorra.

You can actally wear less armor now than ya used to because now you can wear 2 half-gauntlets.  2 half-gauntlets are combat legal for archers.  So minimum armor for the IKCAC would be

Helm
Gorget
Elbows
Half Gauntlets
Knees

So no Groin or kidney protection is required.

Also note that at the Society level forearm protection is not required and therefore it is not required in the IKCAC.  Forearm protection IS required in Ansteorra for combat.

Regards,

HL Eadric Anstapa
Ansteorra
eadric at scabrewer.com