[Ansteorra-archery] Students

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 05:43:54 PST 2004

Actually, Master Pug, as I had posted earlier, yeoman derives from the Old
English for young man and did not have anything to do with the military
until after our 'period' It also refers to a manservant who performs
exemplary service, a small land owner and farmer, an assistant or
subordinant as to a sherriff.

The word yeomanly in addition to meaning of, characteristic of, or befitting
a yeoman, also means brave, sturdy.

In Britain, a yeoman was a memeber of a British volunteer cavalry force that
was begun in 1761 as a home guard, but in 1907 has been a part of the
Territorial Army.

A journeyman in Websters is defined as 1: a) a worker for a daily wage; b) a
worker who has served an apprenticeship and is therefore qualified to work
at a specific trade 2: any sound, experienced,  but not brilliant craftsman
or performer

I was under the impression that these students were being taken on as
'apprentices' of a sort. An apprentice becomes a journeyman before becoming
a master in the trades.

There is another word that would fit, but it is already in use by the
Laurels and Pelicans, that of protege, a person who is guided and helped,
especially in the furtherance of his or her career by another more
influential person.