[Ansteorra-archery] The naming of Arcus Majoris students...

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Sun Mar 28 09:23:18 PST 2004

Pug Bainter wrote:

>While I think this is great, I think they need a title besides student
>if they have entered into a formal relationship. A name should be choose
>*if* you want this to continue in the same vane as Squires and Cadets,
>not to mention Apprentices and Proteges.
>
>The problem with "student" is that it's a term for anyone who is being
>taught by another. I know Apprentices and Squires that have them. This
>just doesn't have the sound that I hope the Arcus Majoris is looking for
>in this type of formal relationship. That being to distinguish the Order
>as something above a simple GoA.
>
>Now that being said, it may be quite difficult to pick a name that is
>not in use by the archery rankings of this and other Kingdoms. From a
>quick investigation of SCA rankings and historical naming, the only ones
>I found not taken at this time are Ranger and Woodman. I'm not sure if
>those would be namings that would convey te appropriate stature.
>
>Ciao,

Well at this point the Arcus Majoris themselves aren't called anything
particular other than HL and this HAS been discussed.

The other white bracer archery order (the Order of the Grey Goose Shaft
in An Tir)  go by the title  Archos  (ar-kos) their students are
plurally called Arcuarii (pronounced ar-koo-AR-ee) or singularly
Arcuarius (Latin for archer; pronounced ar-koo-ar-EE-us).  While I think
Archos is OK, I find  Arcuarius is a bit of a mouthful.  However, I
agree wee need to find something.

Regards,

--

HL Eadric Anstapa