[Ansteorra-archery] Students

Eadric Anstapa eadric at scabrewer.com
Mon Mar 29 17:43:12 PST 2004

Paul Thorne <paulthorne at earthlink.net> said:

> Well, as a former Navy man the name Yeoman has the distinct image
> of a pencil pushing administrative type to me.  Not too sure
> about Ranger as Eadric pointed out it is too close to LOTR and
> D&D.

Well to me  when I here "Yeoman"  I think of Yeoman Rand on star
Trek.  Beyond that I think of Naval officers, and then British
Yeomen ("Beefeater" Guards)

> Since we are on the subject of Students/Teachers I thought I would
> take this opportunity to ask exactly what is it that the Arcus
> Majoris are looking for in a student?  I'm sure that this
> will vary amongst the individuals but I was hoping for maybe a
> general idea.  For example, does the potential student need
> to participate in Target Archery and Combat Archery, or just maybe
> one or the other?

Oh lord, what a tangled question.  What does a squire men to a
night?  For some it is a specific symbol that the person is seeking
knighthood.  For others it simply signifies a relationship between
an knight and a non-knight.

For some like HL Moreg who is primarily involved in target archery
the attributes and desires of her students would I suspect be
different from those of HE Octavia who is just involved in Combat
Archery.  Each CAMA was inducted into the order for different
reasons and therefore what they want to see in their students will
doubtless be different.  Likewise a student would I think do best to
seek someone who can teach then what they wish to learn if that is
their goals and someone who has similar desires and attitudes.

For me (and I dont presume to speak for anyone else)

  I want to see someone with a genuine comittment to bettering
  themselves as an archer either combat archery, target archery or
  both.

  I want to see somone who has a genuine committment to serving the
  archery community of our kingdom.  Not who just plays and shoots
  and serves locally.

  I want someone who has the right attitude, composure, and bearing,
  who reflects well upon, Ansteorra, our archers, the CAMA, and me.

  Somone with who I feel I have a "connection".

I didn't put those in any particular order as all are equally
important to me and that is by no means an exhaustive list and
instead only what I would initially look at.

Regards,

--
HL Eadric Anstapa
Ansteorra