[Ansteorra-archery] Youth Archery Division

Susan Hill sueorintx at hotmail.com
Sun May 2 16:48:09 PDT 2004

The age group you speak of is one that I have noticed plays less all the way
around in the SCA. It's not just archery. This is a group that is very
involved in separating from their parents and in doing more things with
their schools than they did earlier. It is a natural thing for them to NOT
want to have anything to do with anything their parents do. They don't want
to go places and do things with their families as much. Again, this is
normal. The kids who would be more interested may be the kids who's parents
think that the SCA is a bunch of crackpots wearing dresses and funny hats.
Unfortunately they have to have parental permission to participate in our
organization so most of them don't get involved until they are 18.

We have a few youth in the Steppes who do come out for archery from time to
time. They are usually so busy with band, Scouting, sports, and other school
activities that they dont get out to the practice range very often. We
welcome them and offer them encouragement and help as much as they can. They
just dont have time for us.

I don't think that creating a new division is the answer. That will only
serve to further divide the precious time that we marshalls have for events
as it is. I already have 4 shooting events to run at Warlord. I can't
imagine putting in a fifth. 14 to 18 year olds are more than welcome to join
us in the novice shoot. This is one place where I think we can work to make
this kids feel welcome. They don't have the time to practice like many of us
do, but they love to shoot. By offering Bowman's or Novice shoots we can
encourage them to compete and participate more, even if they have to stand
side by side an adult. My son is 14. He likes to shoot when he is here
visiting, but he doesnt have the opportunity to do so when he is at his
dad's (dad is one of those that thinks we are crackpots) If he could be here
for Warlord, I think that he could be talked into competing and he would
have a good time, but even if he chose to go watch the heavy fighters
instead. That's ok. He'll shoot with the big guys eventually, he's been
bitten by the bug, he just needs to have the time to do it.

Linet Grey