[Ansteorra-archery] Youth Archery Division

CarrieGreg Martin carrie_n_greg at yahoo.com
Sun May 2 23:31:46 PDT 2004

this topic is good enough to stop lurking for

someone posted that it shouldnt be about the scores. your right it should be about FUN. would it be much fun to not be able to hit the target? would it be much fun to relearn everything you have been doing for the last 3-5 years or more?

do me a favor go out and practice but now add 20 yards to your long range..for RR thats 60 yards hmm a bit tricky isnt it. okay now do it with a 20lb bow that you been using for 3 or 4 years.. seems to hit the dirt alot doesnt it.. okay easy just get a bigger bow..say 45lbs..if parents will buy another one that is..okay now we are learning to shoot at longer ranges and learning to pull a bigger bow...we having fun yet? oh cool a event coming up...we get to shoot with the adults now...guess how we did?

sounds like fun doesnt it?  folks you have to think about this from the kids point of view..at 14ish and so they are not adults yet..they are not still little kids..they are still learning that hard work pays off..they want to have FUN...if you tell them you are going to suck at this for a while again till you learn all over...they are not going to have fun...

dont give them anything for nothing...sure increase the range...but dont make it such a big jump all at once...give them a snowballs chance to still have fun...

most of us started shooting as adults i would wager, we know the meaning of practice..and we also practice to improve ourselves..we dont really care what our friends think of our skills do we?? :-)  but think if you will 2 13 year olds shooting with each other for a year..think they challenge each other and have fun? you bet...oops one had a birthday...ha ha look at my scores now..you suck dude!!

someone said something about 16 year old boys pulling a 45 lbs bow...sure i know some too...can they do it enough to shoot a ikac? without strain or pain?...what about a 14 year old girl? i know one that can't..do we tell her she cant play?

i have funny ideas about this game/sport i kinda think the idea is to help others, teach, attract new people. etc...  just think if we help these kids stay with it..where they will be when they get our age..think of the scores posted for the kingdom.. think how proud you would be if it was your kid or you helped the kids

i have only been playing for less than a year...been shooting bows for about 6 months now. its the most fun i have had...notice i said FUN.. lets try and make it fun for others.

back to lurking
Geoffrey Makepeace
just a archer in northkeep

Bob Dewart <gilli at hot.rr.com> wrote:
And neither did I till about 6 months ago. I had to go to other ranges or
secure land in various place on which to put a range.

More of the same inadequate stuff is going to be just that.

And you, plus a few others, are validating a point I've had for some time
now. It is easier to come up with excuses why something can't or shouldn't
be done than it is to find one reason to do it.

But I don't recal you typing (is that better) that you'd support the program
either.

Gilli
The more arrows you loose, the more that can hit GOLD.