[Ansteorra-archery] Youth Archery Division

jspinks at ix.netcom.com jspinks at ix.netcom.com
Mon May 3 15:56:09 PDT 2004

With all due respect- the problems are as varied as the area involved.  From observation I can say that the problem is usually more one of who is shooting in a given area and what the enthusiasms are.  If there are primarily novices then they will not intimidate but they may not improve either if their form is poor or there are other difficulties such as poor equipment.  The better archers have to share that knowledge.

As has been pointed out more than once- everyone is a novice sometime.  Lord Owen Hell and I once thought hitting an IKAC of 100 was doing ok.  Then we started insulting each other and egging the other on to the point that we now sometimes score around 200.   For myself- I shoot because I like to shoot.  But I shoot best when I shoot with my friends (or enemies) in friendly competition.  Many people do.

A youth division is of limited value since, as has been pointed out, teens can usually pull as much or sometimes more than adults and often have the time to practice if they are interested.  Mostly the teens are comparable to adult novice until they practice.

Regardless of whether you shoot against yourself or others, human nature is such that we require encouragement in some form-better scores, complements, or simply camaraderie.  I would suggest that anyone should encourage  and welcom the other shooters on the line, no matter their rank.     Our archery community as a whole can only improve with such.

Jaque de Aix